Cables more hype than value?

What are the opinions out there?
tobb
02-23-13: Audiolabyrinth
@ Rok2id,no my entire system cost $70,000.00 ,not the cables!,thou the cables did cost more than the componets,as time gos,I can move up the componet food chain and not worry about changing cables ever!cheers!

02-23-13: Rok2id
Audiolabyrinth my friend, it just don't work like that. If you change a component. you must change the cables, because these things are very carefully matched and any component change requires the wire to be changed.
Rok2id makes a valid point here, IMO.

From a technical standpoint, see my post in this thread dated 2-18-13, and the second of the two links I provided in that thread. From an anecdotal standpoint, findings that cable performance tends to be system dependent have been cited in a great many past threads here and elsewhere, by people whose ideological views on cables fall well within the "believer" part of the spectrum.

Concerning the broader issue that is being, um, discussed here, I would point out that a belief that cables can sound different, to which I subscribe, says nothing about the degree of correlation that can be expected between cable performance and cable price. The aforementioned system dependency, which as I said can be supported both technically and anecdotally, would seem to be one reason (among many others that could be cited) to expect that correlation to be a loose one.

Regards,
-- Al
It really is interesting how widely differing the opinions are on this topic. I have personally done double blind listening tests on cables with a group of listeners who all without exception picked in one test that changing one power cord connecting the CD player (NBS Statement extreme to a Stereolab Dragon Widowmaker) without a doubt improved the sound.
This topic of whether cables make a difference or not has been going on for some time. I categorize this difference of opinions as "alternate universes". The same type of discussions go on between Democrats and Republicans. I am a long-time Democrat. I have stopped trying to explain my views to Republicans. Their values and understanding of the situation are so diametrically opposed to mine that it is impossible to bridge the gaps. I don't like to discuss the topic for risk of destroying friendships (even though there is so much at stake). Fortunately, this discussion on the value of good audio cables does not hold the future in balance. In the case of audio cables, I started hearing the differences they could make in the late 90's. I have spent a lot of money on cables and I try to make balanced decisions on the purchase of cables between the investment of equipment and cables. However, the bottom line should be achieving the most enjoyment out this hobby as my finances can afford. So I think those who believe in cables (those in a "after market cable valued universe") should spend their money on what they believe will achieve the most enjoyment and those who don't (those not in a "after market cable valued universe") should respect those positions and invest in and enjoy the aspects of audio that give them the most enjoyment. And for those who haven't decided which universe they are in concerning audio cables, they should be given guidance that will allow them to make their own decision.

So every time I see this topic raised, I just move on to the next topic. I am not going to get worked up over the question. And, hopefully, those who have spent the time to read this philosophical perspective may take heed and move on towards the real objective of this hobby - enjoyment.

Thanks for reading and enjoy!
@ chayro, thankyou!,for the 2-23-13 post,I feel I fall under those guidlines!,cheers!
Jimyork, I agree with you, as a conservative, that it is hard not to talk past each other on the important issues of our time. Like wire. ;)

To wannabe saviors, If you don't want to play with wire, Don't ! You can buy and sell used cables on this site with no loss of money and decide for yourself or use the Cable Company's services. Why get all upset, when you can test cables in your system. If Monster sounds best in your system, Great! If it's the $3000 Elrods, well that's up to you and your wallet.

Don't try to save us! We will figure out what's best for us.