Computer Do Over

So, the Dell CPU died today. We have most of our cd's on itunes in Apple Lossless and have most of them saved on an external hard drive. We thought it was broken but turns out it is okay and the computer is fried, so we will start over. We run a Squeezebox with a DAC for this. MY question is considering a complete do over - do we stay with PC or go to a MAC? We are reading up on Mac Mini - and wondering if this is the way to go. What is Snow Leopard and is this needed? Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
audiowoman
I have heard that people have had great results with Windows 7. However after using Microsoft products since dos 2.x I made the switch the Mac and have not looked back once. Go to a apple store and mess around with one, then go find a new pc running Windows 7 and see what you think. I have a mac mini, and a macbook with a 2tb nas, and it is a great setup.

I have also read that Netgear ReadyNAS products have a squeeze box server preinstalled. So you could get something like that and not have a computer running at all.
I'm also partial to Macs, but in all fairness you can get it to work either way.

I'd recommend the iMac over the mini, if you do choose a Mac, because I feel the iMac is the best bang for the buck in the lineup. You don't have to purchase an extra keyboard, etc, as the unit is fully self-contained and it is very low profile but much more powerful than the corresponding priced Macbook pro.

Look at the refurbished Mac's at Apple's website. I've received all of mine refurbished, and they have been indistinguishable from new. The iMac I'm typing on now is 4.5 years old and continues to work great.

Michael
Thanks for all the suggestions....something to think about. We do have a good widescreen monitor and keyboard and mouse from the old setup. Just need to replace the innards.
I have been partial to Macs for years although I run PC for CNC/CAM. Seeing as you already have a monitor and keyboard/mouse, I'd get the mini and load it full of RAM. I run my mini "headless" on an AV system, connecting it to the monitor when needed (rarely). Otherwise I control it either through and iPod touch or via screen sharing (built in) with the iMac I am on now. It is easy and seamless. FWIW, just yesterday a luddite friend of my mine (whom happens to be a respected vacuum tube dealer) commented to me about how much he liked the iMac I talked him into over a PC, and that it had never frozen or crashed in over a year!
Snow Leopard is the current operating system (10.6) that will come with most all new macs being sold. My girlfriend bought a refurbed one, and it has been fine for the 10 mths she has had it.