does import cds sound better

when shopping for cds I see a huge increase in price on import labels..never purchased or heard one..though I hear and like improvement in sacd and hdcd formats...are they wort the price?
slick2

I've also found that every SHM-CD sounds better than the CD's, and even the HDCD's in my library.

Unless you're buying an out-of-print SHM-CD, you should only be paying at the most $30.00 for one.

Chuck
Lowrider,
I'm not sure SHM process involves remastering. The mastering version is something you need to pay attention to when purchasing SHMs. If you don't like the version I don't think SHM is going to help.
thanks Rja.
I'm also wondering if the SHM process improves the sound of early digital CDs, some of which are bright and thin sounding. I'm asking because there are many SHMCD's of 1980s recordings available and they are priced under $30.

Many are on the DG label, for example...
http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphonies-Karajan-Herbert-Von/dp/B0053MFNF2/ref=sr_1_25?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1381812472&sr=1-25&keywords=shm-cd
SHM is not a process, it is a material which IMO slightly enhances the clarity of the top end. It has nothing to do with mastering or remastering. If you think a title currently sounds anemic I don't think SHM could help, possibly doing just the opposite. I personally would steer clear of early CDs in this format but you should experiment and check a few out for yourself. My opinion is purely hypothetical. Who knows, they may sound OK.
Thanks very much for the explanation, Rja. I just assumed they would do some EQ or cleaning up the tracks. I guess the reason for the debate over this format is due to the fact that many doubt a new material will make a difference. I will listen for myself.
(and Aja is an excellent reference recording).