Fake Audioquest sky cables

One of my friend had bought an audioquest sky cable from someone that i do not know. My friend knows that i am using audioquest sky cables, and when he tried the cables in his system he had some doubts about their fake or real, then he came to me. My friend sky cables has different color shielding and different kind of 72 v dbs and same connectors but different signs on them. When we tried my friends sky vs mine, friends sky has no stage, no 3d images, sloppy bass, and very highs were very harsh. There is no doubt that this cable is fake. He emailed photos of the cable to the audioquest, and they gave very vague answers, as far as i understand from my friends telling, there are two versions of sky, early model looks like my friends sky, later model looks like mine. I think they mentioned sonic improvement between two models, but not like our comparisons. I heart fake sky cables many times, but never met one. My friend is trying to give back cable, i do not know whether he succed or not. Have you ever seenor heart fake aq sky, did you have a chance to compare with a real one, are your findings similiar with us ?
altanpsx
EBM - just for your information, Stealth has a larger problem with counterfeit cables (from the far east) than Audioquest does. Buyer beware!
"01-18-14: Danielk141
So Audioquest's stated policy is to destroy the evidence, if they verify you got ripped off in a bogus purchase.
I won't be buying into this brand, ever."

What else can they do? If they give them back there's a very good chance that the person who lost them will try and sell them to someone else to try and recover their money. Also, they are letting you know what their policy is before you send them.

"I saw some unreal deals on sky on eBay. It seemed to good to be true so I asked Audioquest and they were very vague and wouldn't give me a straight answer."

How can they possibly give you a straight answer? They don't have access to the cables being sold on ebay. It has nothing to do with them. Do you get mad at Rolex if you get tricked into buying a knock off?
Zd542,

Audioquest can simply set a policy where they agree to ship the evidence to the agency the buyer uses to lodge their complaint against the person who sold them the bogus cables.
That can be Audiogon, a local court, etc.
They can request the cables be destroyed after the legal proceedings are complete.
I don't bid on any "unreal" deals on eBay. That's why I buy and sell on Audiogon.
It has been my experience - bought an AQ Diamond RJ/E digital cable from Hi-Def
Lifestyle, since first time buying on-line and quality of cable and packaging weren't all
that convincing, for reassurance thought I'd just recheck to be sure.

Sent a couple of good close-up shots of cable and box (various angles) to AQ, their
marketing director got back to me via e-mail within 2days confirming that the cable is
indeed genuine. So perhaps this is another way to verify - less headache, no risk - IME.
I noticed length inconsistency of umbilical cords to DBS modules (from various pics on webs), workmanship too wasn't of best quality/standard, also the 'Made in China' instead of USA or Colorado? printed on box which left me quite a bit jittery initially hence my rechecking.

They had their explaination.. Well, to me, as long as it is genuine, and ultimately thought that its sound to commensurate with $$ paid.. I'm happy.