Still mystified by mega expensive power cords

AC travels miles from the substation, enters my house, goes into a panel, then runs to my hifi equipment. Once inside the equipment it goes through whatever wiring the manufacturer used. I don't understand how the few feet from the outlet to the back of the gear can make some of the dramatic changes claim (low end goes down another octave, deeper wider soundstage, etc). My thought is that as long as the power cord is shielded so that it's not working like an antenna, properly grounded, and of sufficient guage so that you're not loosing juice to heat, and has contacts that make a solid connection, any power cable should sound like the next, especially since the AC coming in is rectified and smoothed.

I'm not looking for flames, but for those that believe in power cables, enlighten me. Or said another way, can that $11,000 plus power cable I saw today possiblet do more than fatten the manufacturer's wallet?
128x128zavato
I second the Triode Wire Labs recommendation. Try the 7's. Most wire is overpriced, some outrageously and shamefully so. I've been the sucker on more than one occasion. I'm in the 'believer' camp because of my own listening experience time and time again. To repeat many of the above posters…listen for yourself and be the decider.
It's complete insanity. I am a fairly serious guitarist and for really giant tube power amps, we usually use an oversize power cord with 14 AWG wire. And it needs to be shielded because obviously RFI can be a huge problem with a lot of gear and wireless stuff around. But you realize that 14 AWG can easily handle any amperage that a household electrical system can _possibly_ throw at it. Hospital-grade power cords would be fine, except they aren't typically shielded. You might want to spend a whopping $16 and get a 14 AWG cord from Mercury Magnetics, which is ugly red but is shielded. I can't under any circumstance see why that will be inadequate for any home audio system no matter how esoteric. And you'll have so much more money left over for beer, it's not even funny.
I am also a musician, and I've tried a couple of DIY power cords on my Mesa Boogie bass amp.
I will also say that there is not much point in spending big bucks on a power cord for it.

But it is not the same with my high end audio components.
We are not comparing apples to apples.

Live music especially guitar,is all about creating harmonious distortions, HiFi si about eliminationg them.

Tubes that sound great in a Fender twin reverb would be too distorted in a quality tube amplifier in a home system.

If you want to understand this better, plug your cd player into your amp and play it with the settings you use on your guitar and tell me if it sounds good to you.

You don't use a screw drive to pound nails, although it's a perfectly good tool in and of itself when used for the purpose it was designed for.

Just for the fun of it, try a DIY power cord on your amp with improved connectors.Or if you can borrow an upgranded fancy expensive one try it.

I'll predict you'll find that any of them will do the job.
You may hear some differences, you may even like an unshielded power cord,some folks find shielded cords to rob some of the details and smooth the edges too much.

I'm still playing, and started playing in 65,started into this hobby in 77,and as everyone tells us it's all about the music.
I've heard some very expensive home audio systems, and I've tried my best to put together a good sounding rig using upgraded power cords etc. and yet nothing is even close to live sound in the high end.

High end sound is mostly about reducing distortions and clarity.
Playing live rock/blues is something else.

What works in one area is not a guarantee it will work in the other.

I could never play my bass thru my home system, yet it handles Jack Bruce, Jocko,Tal etc, very well.
http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_issues/The_Audio_Critic_16_r.pdf
No need to be mystified. There is no mystery. Page 39.