Cartridge or cable upgrade

Hey all,

Equipment is as follows:

Pro-ject 5.1SE tt
Sumiko Blue Point cartridge
LSA Statement Integrated (MM/hi-output MC phono stage)
Reference 3A de Capo BE monitors
Monster Cable Interlink 2 Insulated IC for phono connect

Should I upgrade the cable or the cartridge first?

I'm thinking of the Dynavector 10x5 ($450) for the cartridge, or Anticable Reference 3.2 for the cables ($300)

Any advice in those price ranges?

Thank you in advance,

Simao
128x128simao
I'm not sure what you're considering would be a really audible improvement over what you have. Personally, I would try a Herbies mat before doing anything. It made a very audible improvement on my old Music Hall (Project) tt, but it seriously degraded my Linn, IMO. So you just have to try one and see. Herbies is always money back, so there's minimal risk. BTW, the mat improved the Music Hall much more than you would guess. More solidity, very improved bass response. Just all-around better.
I have your exact TT and spent around 1200 hours enjoying the Blue Point No. 2, the one I am assuming you have. Stylus wear eventually led to a change and I too replaced it with a Dynavector 10x5 that is now broken in.

I am not sure what kind of sound your looking for but I can share my experiences with both of these cartridges. Especially before you jump on the Dynavector. Overall, they are far more similar than different. Here are the differences that I noted. The Blue Point has slightly better treble while the Dynavector has slightly better bass.
The Blue Point will project a wider soundstage. The Dynavectors soundstage is narrower but deeper with the instruments more in focus. Overall, I give a slight nod to the Dynavector. For cables, I use Audioquest Sidewinders and am very happy with them.

If you are looking for a big change in sound, suggest you look at a different cartridge entirely. But change doesn't necessarily mean better. Just different. If you like the sound of the BP No. 2 and are looking to improve upon it, again I will give a slight nod to the Dynavector. Hope some of this helps.
The Dyna is actually a big improvement over the BluPoint, however, you need better gear to hear the improvement. ...for instance.....I am using the top of the line Anti-Cables, and find them wonderful, however, that last great improvement will probably be lost with a system that can't let you hear the difference. The lesser Anti's sound very similar, but without the nuances. They are exchangeable...I would try out the less expensive series with your system. Power cords are the most important....can offer the greatest improvement..interconnects next, then speaker cables.
I agree with Chayro,

I would go with a mat first. I use the Firm Funk Acromat but Herbies is also an excellent choice. Lateral changes is not what you are looking for.