Turntable Bearings

How can we tell the condition of a used TT bearing with a good and reasonable accuracy other than just observing it?
manualblock
Try posting your question on the Linn LP12 forum on the Linn site. Several LP12 experts frequent that forum and you're more likely to get answers.
$1300 for a Linn bearing? Are you sure? Anyway, I have an NOS one around here someplace. The question is where?

In any event, replacing the bearing may not be your only course of action. If possible, replace only the ball. I cannot remember if it is fitted to the shaft, or not. Regardless, if it is damaged, that could be your problem. If slight bearing is indeed the problem, you might want to try a heavier lubricant. I know some Linnies won't agree, but there is nothing mystic about the factory oil. A heavier oil will compensate for slight wear.
The Linn bearing does not employ the use of a ball bearing. When upgrading the Linn bearing which is part of the inner platter, Linn recommends changing the outer platter as well to ensure complete balanced and matched interface.

Since your table was produced in the 80's, you can purchase an upgraded bearing, inner platter and outer platter kit called the "Cirkus" upgrade.
The new Cirkus upgrade costs 1300 and no one will sell any NOS bearings. The issue is how to tell wear on any used 25 yr old table bearing and spindle. If you can see it; then it's too far gone to even consider as a purchase. So what thhen?
The Linn bearing has a very tight tolerance. When used with the recommended Linn black oil, the spindle should slowly float down within the bearing well, sometimes taking minutes to settle. If it drops too quickly, the tolerance may be off. With respect to wear on the point that comes in contact with the thrust plate, spin the platter ( without the drive belt), the platter should spin freely for a prolong period of time. Also, you can purchase an inexpensive stethoscope and listen for bearing noise, but you need to know what to listen for as you currently have no reference point.

Yes, it is difficult to find a nos bearing and that is due to the fact that the bearing and platter were sold as a set. A lot of people have upgraded to the Cirkus bearing, therefore, there should be a lot of used but excellent condition old bearing/platter combo that can be purchased for an excellent price.