Opinions on bang for the buck on TT & tonearm

$6000.00 budget on the used or demo market.
The sound; must create the illusion of being there, accurate vocals and sufficient bass. I know kinda tall order.
Thanks curleyques
curleyques
Dear Hiho, Upon further thought, I would wish to modify my definition of audiophilia, in the interests of both fact and humor. But the OP has more responses here than he really needs.

Dfel, With $6000 to spend, one can purchase a very highly "tweaked" SP10 Mk2, needing no further work or repair. Not that I recommend such above all the other possibilities; I am just pointing that out. For far fewer bucks you can have a restored Kenwood L07D, which in my opinion would blow any VPI, save possibly the DD VPI, (and any SP10 Mk2) into the weeds and comes with tonearm. Takes a little sense of adventure to do that, I admit.
Dear Curleyques,
You have revealed the following information:

1. Looking for great sound with minimal tweaking.

2. The sound must create the illusion of being there, accurate vocals and sufficient bass.

3. Tables I have owned; Basis Debut Gold vacuum, VPI TNT4/Scout/Classic and several other custom VPI's, Merrill, Heirloom, Loth, Transcriptor, Kuzma Stabi, Rek o Kut, yamaha, denon.

4. Thinking about a Feickert/Triangle/Oracle/Hanss.

5. Not against buying used gear or vintage gear.

Questions:

1. $6,000.00 for the turntable and tonearm only?

2. What cart are you planning to use?

3. What is your taste in music?

4. What kind of Amplification are you planning to use?

5. Same wIth phono pre; which one are you planning to use?

6. Speakers?

7. Cables?

Great sound with minimal tweaking will eliminate the likes of Townshend Rock 7, Well Tempered Amadeus GTA MKII, Linn Sondek LP12, etc. because these tables, although they provide great sound, require constant tweaking for optimal performance so you may want to stay away from them.

There are MANY factors (other than TT and arm) that will help create the illusion of "being there" as well as accurate vocals and sufficient bass. Cartridge, phono pre, amplification, cables, speakers, isolation devices, etc. You must find the right synergy between ancillary equipment in order to create the so called illusion you're looking for.

Actually, ALL the tables that you have owned (as well as the ones that you are thinking about) CAN and WILL create the illusion you're craving for with the right combination.

The “Source”, meaning a Turntable player, is at the beginning of the audio chain. This is where the music/audio signal starts. I am sure you have heard the old saying....."junk in junk out"

That said, I am a firm believer that your system will be as good as your cart will allow it to "sing". Your cart and phono pre MUST BE up to par in order to make it work.

Me, I am a big fan of Lyra carts but there are MANY other great brands that will be as good or better to your ears. Choose wisely and spend the money where it counts.

You have owned TTs that are FAR superior that what I've EVER dreamed of.

What I am trying to say is that you need to find the right synergy and not necessarily a "better" table.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Happy listening.

I second the Trans-Fi Terminator tonearm (yeah, I know, but I didn't name it). Mine is working with a Notts Mentor (one of the last, with the new bearing), which I have re-plinthed to good effect.

Friends with Schroeders seem impressed with the combination, which is good enough to support a high end Koetsu. One of the best things about the Terminator tonearm is that the wand is light, but readily accepts extra mass to tune it to the cartridge of choice. Mine works without weights for my (good) MM, and with 14g extra for the Koetsu.

That versatility is something which you may find to be most important.
Pulled the trigger and purchased; Triangle Concerto/Jelco12" arm/Arche headshell/ boston mat/ Audience cable/ Triangle Zeus cart