Real Stinkers

There was a recent thread about consecutive great albums by your favorite artists. How about turning it on it's head? What is the WORST album by your FAVORITE artist. The one where they REALLY stunk up the joint? The one that it pained you to listen to? The one where everybody went "What were they thinking?"

I'll start off, at the risk of picking a fight - Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboys by Elton John. Except for "Someone Saved My Life Tonight", I never really cared for the rest of the album.
kinsekd
Onhwy61,

You might be right about the contract thing, but you might not be. No one seems to be certain what Reed was thinking (per the original post). AFAIK, Reed has never acknowledged that the record was a joke, (although the lingering risk of potential liability associated with doing so could explain that). As of last spring, so many years later when retribution by his label would seem unlikely, he defended the record in an interview I saw (can't recall where). In that piece, he maintained that the record was a breakthrough in "post metal". Was he just joking? Maybe, but a quick web search turns up a number of folks out there who, incredibly enough, agree with that assessment and take the record seriously.

Since the OP asked for a really bad release by a favorite artist that made you wonder "What was he thinking?", I'll stick with my assertion that MMM is the about the purest answer to that question that I know of.

Marty
Draw the Line by Aerosmith-they were awesome up til then. Also Undercover by the Stones
Martykl, I heard that story about "Metal Machine Music" back when it was originally released. A manager at Sam Goody's told me and he also said nearly every copy sold was returned. Personally I think Lou Reed was serious about the music, it's his intent that is the unknown.
St. Anger by Metallica. As if the music wasn't bad enough, the sound quality is so much worse. Hard to believe it got a few very positive reviews when it came out. It's a great drink coaster for me now.

Load and ReLoad weren't very good either, but both had a few very good songs IMO. It should have been released as a single album without the garbage tracks.