Turnable database with TimeLine

Here is a database showing various turntables being tested for speed accuracy and speed consistency using the Sutherland TimeLine strobe device. Members are invited to add their own videos showing their turntables.

Victor TT-101 with music

Victor TT-101 stylus drag

SME 30/12

Technics SP10 MK2a

Denon DP-45F
peterayer
Lewm, thanks for your kind words. I agree there is a lot of "junk food" on the net.
Halcro, It would be very interesting to see a TimeLine test video of a very eccentric recordĀ“s play with 3 tonearms in action.
I would like someone with the TimeLine to make very small incremental adjustments in speed similar to the speed changes due to stylus drag.

Then listen closely at these different speeds, on records that have light and heavy modulation, and try to hear changes in sonics.

I do not think these changes (during play) are audible, as J. Peter Moncrief's theory (which Halcro quotes), implies.

He was "the" supreme theoretical BS artist, in his day.
Don,
Then listen closely at these different speeds, on records that have light and heavy modulation, and try to hear changes in sonics.
I think you're talking here about speed 'consistency' rather than 'absolute' speed?
I have no doubts that you are correct in the fact that if a turntable is running CONSISTENTLY fast or slow....and can cope with 'stylus drag'....the resulting sound will be undistorted and one could not really tell the difference.
In fact...the TT-101 has the facility to adjust the speed either UP or DOWN in 4 Hz increments so that one can match the relative 'pitch' of the record with an instrument that one might wish to play along with.
The only problem here....is that we don't have a Timeline which can alter 'pitch'....so that consistent speed of a turntable under stylus drag can only be verified by the Timeline at exactly 33.33rpm.
Not to beat a dead horse, but if one were to measure precisely the left or right movement of the laser spot over time with no stylus drag and then do the same thing in the presence of stylus drag, one could in fact establish that the tt is capable of maintaining some constant speed in spite of stylus drag, even if that speed was greater or less than 33.33 rpm.