Correct Phono Preamp Gain Setting

I have a Blue Circle Audio phono preamp with fixed gain settings of 58 and 71db. My cartridge is an Ortofon Cadenza Red with an output voltage of .45uv.
The KAB parameters chart indicates the setting should be in the low to mid-fifties. However, the setting at 58db and specifically the volume is too low. It sounds great, but is anemic, has no punch, and is not loud enough for my listening. On the other hand, the setting at 71db provides more than adequate volume without distortion. Unfortunately, I cannot do a direct A/B comparison to gauge quality differences. Are my ears deceiving me at 71db or do I need to set at the lower gain and purchase an SUT?
cinellipro
I played a little bit of the Acoustech 45rpm recording of Horace Silver's Tokyo Blues at both settings. First with the phono gain set at 71db. Then again at 58db. At 58db I noticed a lot less hissing, more front to back depth in the soundstage, and everyhting the sound seemed more open, or less compressed. Thanks for the expertise and great advice. Now I just need to be okay with the volume knob cranked to 3.
Cheers!
Bingo. What you just described is exactly what I would have expected based on the numbers. Especially with low output MC's, getting the gain right is extremely important. Both too little and too much gain (even 3-4 dB in my experience) can really compromise sound quality. You're actually quite fortunate as, at least in theory, 58 dB of gain should be just about absolutely perfect for your Cadenza Red. Glad it worked out for you!!
at 58db you get larger dynamic headroom. at 71db you compress signal lots.
i have to turn volume '3 hours later' vs. digital playback. as previous posters mentioned, it's normal.
Cinellipro, Plain and simple....you need a phono preamp with better settings....a Musical Surroundings Phonomena would solve all these problems you describe. It has infinite # of settings to dial in your Ortofon,it also sounds awesome! punch, slam, detail, dynamics all there. I purchased one used on the Gon for around $325. It is amazing what a good phono preamp does.