Stylus Rake Angle

I am trying to set up my new VPI 3D arm as close to perfection as I can. On the Analog Planet, Michael Fremer gives one opinion, however, a different opinion was voiced by Harry at VPI, and Peter at Soundmith. I've been discussing this with them....Fremer says that SRA should be adjusted even if the back end of the arm is WAY high up as needed, whereas Harry, and Peter said to start with the arm in a horizontal position and move it slightly up and down to find the sweet spot. Peter said that my cartridge (Benz LPS) and some others have an additional facet in the diamond so bringing the arm up in back would be exaggerating the proper SRA. When I wrote back to Fremer, he answered with an insistance that he was correct. Does anyone want to add to the confusion??
128x128stringreen
Dear Lewm/Peter/all: Nothing changed on my mind about, overhang always is important. Things are that for many people overhang changes " makes " almost no diference on the quality performance and not because it does not makes a difference but because they are unaware of how the system sounds when overhang is off. It's not easy to be aware if you don't know what to look for: if you are not trained to do it.
In the other side in the very first time/moment that the cartridge stylus hit the LP grooves the overhang/VTA/SRA/VTF suffer minute changes due to the imperfect medium and maybe because of this I could said it has not " anal importance ".

This is something similar as the RIAA eq. deviation where I supported and support the critical importance on accuracy.
I say that a prety decent RIAA eq. frequency deviation of +,- 0.1 db is not enough and that a RIAA frequency deviation of: +,- 0.015 db is better and we can hear the difference IF we are trained to know what to look for during playback.

Now, all cartridge/tonearm alignment parameters are important and critical to achieve a top quality performance and we have to take care on each one if we want that the cartridge can shows us at its top performance.

In a pivoted tonearm the cartridge alignment start when we choose the the type of alignment: Baerwald, Löfgren B , Stevenson and the like.

Löfgren defined the geometry equations for a precise cartridge set up where we have mainly to know the overhang and offset angle ( between other parameters. ).

This is a sin-equanon the very first step for the cartridge can shows it at its best.
So IMHO overhang and offset angle ( for a choosed alignment geometry equations. ) must stay with out changes when other cartridge set up changes.

The different alignment equations is a trade offs " game " depending on what we want/prefer on distortions level between null points and outside null points at outer and inner LP grooves.

The alignment equations we choose optimize those distortions inside that choosed alignment in a way that any tyni deviation on the overhang and/or in offset angle cartridge set up produce a different kind of distortions to the ones choosed with different trade offs.

That we can hear or not the new distortions/trade offs does not invalidate the importance that on each alignment the name of the game is: accuracy that must stay that way always.

The target/main subject of any cartridge/tonearm geometry alignment is to do it as accurate as we can because we want optimized/lower distortions.
Tyni deviations from that " accuracy " increment in exponential way those distortions so we don't want to have this.

We all are very sensible to VTA/SRA changes and changes on Azymuth because we are aware of the differences on sound with these changes on cartridge set up and because we are accustom to do it and to hear the changes in performance when the overhang changes we are really unaware on how we detect it or how we listen it.

We have to learn trhough a training to be aware of it.

As I said, it's tiresoem/nightmare to change overhang each time we need it ( for VTA/SRA/VTF ) but we need to do it especially when we are doing cartridge comparisons or when we are fine tunning a cartridge.

Maybe some of you could remember that several times I insisted to have a proved and repetable evaluation/set up process that can permit to be aware of different kind of distortions and quality performance levels and know teh why's.

A easy way to be aware of overhang misalignment is to choose a well know LP tracks with bass range content and listen the system transiente response at different overhang values. You will be surprised on what you can hear down there those overhang changes.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Well, to be honest, I find that optimizing SRA yields a higher degree of improvement the closer to optimum the positions of the null points are. Not sure what the numbers are, but overhang is responsible for their correct location.
What I would really like to see is a test record where each track of the same music be cut at different and documented SRA angles, plus a final track (of the same music) where the cutting SRA is constantly varied.

Then during playback and with our own SRA fixed, it should be interesting to try to hear whatever variations/distortions there may be. This will only serve to show what we should be listening for when playing back our regular records vis a vis our quest to set our SRA.
Dear John_gordon: It's unfortunate that with a pivoted tonearm a " right " set up cartridge is almost not posible at all. All the set up parameters are interrelated and any change on one of them affect the others and we have to reset it, tiresome.

The best we can do is to choose the best trade-offs and enjoy the MUSIC and when choosed try to stay inside those trade offs all the time because when we change the null points and accepted we are changed almost all: mainly distortion levels that means new trade offs.

The analog medium is full of imperfections and we have to deal with in the best way we can. Sometimes I think is an endless enterprise.

At the end each one of us have its own targets and MUSIC sound reproduction and each one trade offs choosed are related to achieve those targets.

R.
Dear Lewm: ++++ " then it seems to me that small errors in overhang (say +/-1.0mm, but I would have to do the geometry before settling on that margin) can be tolerated. " ++++

as I posted we have to choose our trade offs, this is each one privilege. For you 1.0mm could be tolerated and maybe for me even 1.5 mm too and as JG posted there will be an offset angle/linear ( and the like. )deviation too.

Imperfect world!

R.