Ideal way to set up the OPPO 105?

Hey,

I just ordered an Oppo 105 and am wondering which is the best way to set it up. External HD, USB Flash Drive, Laptop, ipod? Also, is it possible to control the digitized music with an ipod or iphone?

TIA
klimt
I do not know if you can use the iPad instead of an external monitor. It is my understanding that the Oppo 105 requires a HDMI cable to the monitor. I do not think the iPad has a HDMI connection. However, I suggest you call Oppo Digital and ask them. I have called them several times and their customer service is excellent. Please post what you discover.
Hgeifman, that is very nice to know indeed! It makes me wish I got the 105 instead of the 103. Sounds like a very nice way to get into PC audio by at least streaming what the internet has to offer as a way of getting one's feet wet. You made it seem all so easy.

All the best,
Nonoise
Another option for you to consider is to connect the Roku 3 (wired or Wi-Fi) or the Roku Streaming Stick (Wi-Fi Only) to your Oppo 105. I have not tried this but am thinking about buying the Roku 3 (no decision yet).

The Oppo 105 only supports Pandora and Rhapsody streaming while the Roku 3 has over 83 music channels . In addition, I discovered that TuneIn is included with the Roku 3 (TuneIn provides streaming music radio and streaming talk radio). TuneIn allows you to create "custom" URL addresses so that other stations can be included. For example, Radio Swizz Jazz and Linn Classical can be added to your Oppo favorites list. This URL option opens up many more possibilities for Internet radio streaming.

See:

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/music/by-popular

While Wi-Fi is a Roku option, a wired connection is better. My Oppo Digital 105 Blu-Ray player has been connected to the Internet using an Ethernet over power connection. It has proven to be a very reliable connection. Connection problems are very rare. My video system, dishwasher and other home appliances do NOT interfere when I am using the Ethernet over power connection for my Oppo 105.

I am using the ASUS home plug av power line adapter kit PL-X32m rated at to 200Mbps (Ethernet over power).

The ASUS Home Plug AV Ethernet Adapter lets you pass through the existing electrical power lines in your home or office into a high-speed network. There are many other Ethernet Adapter brands on the market. Another option is the Linksys PLEK500 Ethernet over power device (highly rated by CNET).

There is no noise problem with the Ethernet over power since it runs on your electrical lines at a higher frequency than the electrical power. I suggest you plug the ASUS device "directly" into the router and NOT into a switch box. Mine was first plugged into my Netgear switch box but I discovered I got a better connection by going directly into my router.

Ethernet over power is much better connection than a wireless connection. It was very difficult for me to run another Ethernet wire from my router in my home office to my living room and the Ethernet over power solution works fine.
Hgeifman,

Thanks for all the info. I called Oppo and they said that one can use an ipad to control an external HD or Flashdrive using their Media Control HD App, but that would require a home network connection.

I like the idea of the powerline adapter. I live in a house with plaster walls (and the wire mesh that holds it) so the wifi signal is very weak and inconsistent.

I also asked them about 'burn in time' and the tech said that they don't prescribe to that theory. In your experience was there any?

Just wondering.
Klimt: I thought my Oppo 105 sounded very good out of the box. On the other hand, I also believed it sounded much better after two weeks of playing.

Please review the Linksys PLEK500 Ethernet over power device. Please see:
http://reviews.cnet.com/adapters-nics/linksys-plek500-powerline-av2/4505-3380_7-35792281.html..

I had the same problem getting a wired connection to the Oppo and using an Ethernet over power connection is the perfect solution. Plug these devices into a separate electrical outlet. They should not share the power with another device on the same electrical plug. Do not use a power strip, plug directly into the wall.

Okay?