Ideal way to set up the OPPO 105?

Hey,

I just ordered an Oppo 105 and am wondering which is the best way to set it up. External HD, USB Flash Drive, Laptop, ipod? Also, is it possible to control the digitized music with an ipod or iphone?

TIA
klimt
Please review the "Unofficial OPPO BDP-103 Frequently Asked Questions” for additional information about the Oppo 105. This is not an official document from Oppo Digital but it is very useful. See:

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html

For my Oppo 105, I purchased the Samsung 19” monitor (model #UN19F4000AFXZA) so I can see my music selections on the monitor. It needs an external monitor so you can see what you are doing. For example, when using Pandora, it displays your albums on the screen and you select what album you want to hear.

The Oppo 105 automatically connects to Gracenote's global media database over the Internet so it can display cover art, title, artist, genre and other media information when playing CD's. This is a very helpful feature.

The Oppo 105 was very easy to setup and connected to my Ethernet wired Internet connection automatically (using Ethernet over power). I performed a firmware update and it has been playing ever since. While Wi-Fi is an option, a wired connection is better.

A new firmware was released for your OPPO BDP-103/BDP-103D/BDP-105 Blu-ray player on December 5, 2013. Containing over 20 new features and bug fixes, this is a highly recommended update.

The Apple Store has an App for your iPhone that can be used to control the music elections on your Oppo 105.

I like the Oppo because it can play all disk formats include SACD’s, has USB 2.0 ports for my USB drives (and hard drives) and Internet streaming from Pandora and Rhapsody.
Thanks alot Hgeifman!

I do have an ipad. Would I be able to use that instead of the TV/LCD monitor? There's a MediaControl HD APP that I think will enable the ipad to take the place of the monitor, but I'm not sure.
I do not know if you can use the iPad instead of an external monitor. It is my understanding that the Oppo 105 requires a HDMI cable to the monitor. I do not think the iPad has a HDMI connection. However, I suggest you call Oppo Digital and ask them. I have called them several times and their customer service is excellent. Please post what you discover.
Hgeifman, that is very nice to know indeed! It makes me wish I got the 105 instead of the 103. Sounds like a very nice way to get into PC audio by at least streaming what the internet has to offer as a way of getting one's feet wet. You made it seem all so easy.

All the best,
Nonoise
Another option for you to consider is to connect the Roku 3 (wired or Wi-Fi) or the Roku Streaming Stick (Wi-Fi Only) to your Oppo 105. I have not tried this but am thinking about buying the Roku 3 (no decision yet).

The Oppo 105 only supports Pandora and Rhapsody streaming while the Roku 3 has over 83 music channels . In addition, I discovered that TuneIn is included with the Roku 3 (TuneIn provides streaming music radio and streaming talk radio). TuneIn allows you to create "custom" URL addresses so that other stations can be included. For example, Radio Swizz Jazz and Linn Classical can be added to your Oppo favorites list. This URL option opens up many more possibilities for Internet radio streaming.

See:

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/music/by-popular

While Wi-Fi is a Roku option, a wired connection is better. My Oppo Digital 105 Blu-Ray player has been connected to the Internet using an Ethernet over power connection. It has proven to be a very reliable connection. Connection problems are very rare. My video system, dishwasher and other home appliances do NOT interfere when I am using the Ethernet over power connection for my Oppo 105.

I am using the ASUS home plug av power line adapter kit PL-X32m rated at to 200Mbps (Ethernet over power).

The ASUS Home Plug AV Ethernet Adapter lets you pass through the existing electrical power lines in your home or office into a high-speed network. There are many other Ethernet Adapter brands on the market. Another option is the Linksys PLEK500 Ethernet over power device (highly rated by CNET).

There is no noise problem with the Ethernet over power since it runs on your electrical lines at a higher frequency than the electrical power. I suggest you plug the ASUS device "directly" into the router and NOT into a switch box. Mine was first plugged into my Netgear switch box but I discovered I got a better connection by going directly into my router.

Ethernet over power is much better connection than a wireless connection. It was very difficult for me to run another Ethernet wire from my router in my home office to my living room and the Ethernet over power solution works fine.
Hgeifman,

Thanks for all the info. I called Oppo and they said that one can use an ipad to control an external HD or Flashdrive using their Media Control HD App, but that would require a home network connection.

I like the idea of the powerline adapter. I live in a house with plaster walls (and the wire mesh that holds it) so the wifi signal is very weak and inconsistent.

I also asked them about 'burn in time' and the tech said that they don't prescribe to that theory. In your experience was there any?

Just wondering.
Klimt: I thought my Oppo 105 sounded very good out of the box. On the other hand, I also believed it sounded much better after two weeks of playing.

Please review the Linksys PLEK500 Ethernet over power device. Please see:
http://reviews.cnet.com/adapters-nics/linksys-plek500-powerline-av2/4505-3380_7-35792281.html..

I had the same problem getting a wired connection to the Oppo and using an Ethernet over power connection is the perfect solution. Plug these devices into a separate electrical outlet. They should not share the power with another device on the same electrical plug. Do not use a power strip, plug directly into the wall.

Okay?
Hgeifman,

Thanks for the posts. Do you know if one can use MULTIPLE powerline adapters? That is, one for my computer, one for the Oppo (which I'll be using exclusively for audio), and one for my Samsung blueray player (which is connected to my flat screen). Any idea if that would work? And if so, would they all need to be the same brand?
I do not know. Please ask the manufacturer (like Linksys). Using the same brand, you should get it to work. Please call and ask someone. Let me know what they say.
Hey,

Just spoke withy Linksys tech support and they said that YES three (or more) WOULD work!

They also said they are backward compatible, but I'm not sure if that means one can combine different brands. This is good news though!
Hgeifman just curious when you say a wired connection is better do you also mean better sonically?
I liked a wired connection because it is secure and, in my case, results in a much stronger signal going to my device. I am not able to receive a any wireless signal in my living room. While I know that I could use an range extender, I prefer not to for security reasons. My two computers, printer, television and Blu-rRy player are connected to my router via an Ethernet wired connection. While I have been unable to test the sonics, I know from hearing other people that a wireless connection sometimes drops the signal.

I know that a wired connection is stable and a reasonably fast connection. Because my router is on one end of my home and the Blu-Ray player on the opposite side, using a wireless signal is not possible.

Assuming that both a wireless and wireless signals are strong, my assumption is that the sonics are probably going to be the same (I really do not know). However, in my case, I prefer the wired connection for security reasons. Let us assume I could receive a wireless signal in my living room. I would still use a wired connection for security purposes.

I was not able to easily run an Ethernet cable from my router to my device. After some research, I connected my Oppo Digital 105 Blu-Ray player to the Internet using an Ethernet over power-line connection (uses your existing power-lines). It has proven to be a very reliable connection. Connection problems are very rare. My video system, dishwasher and other home appliances do NOT interfere when I am using the Ethernet over power connection for my Oppo 105. I am using the ASUS home plug AV power line adapter kit PL-X32m rated at to 200Mbps (Ethernet over power-line).

There are many other Ethernet Adapter brands on the market but the ASUS PL-X32m works. However, I am thinking of replacing it with the Linksys Homeplug AV2 Powerline Kit PLEK500 (no decision yet). There is no noise problem with the Ethernet over power since it runs on your electrical lines at a higher frequency than the electrical power.

I found the two links below discussing wired vs wireless. See:

http://www.computerweekly.com/feature/Wired-vs-wireless-in-the-enterprise

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/igeneration/wired-vs-wireless-security-vs-speed/624

I hope the above answers your question.
Marco1, I do wireless digital file playback via the OPPO 95. I find sound quality to be every bit as good as when playing the physical CD; however, the wireless connection does sometimes go south as Hgeifman says. Whether that is due to something inherent in my wireless signal or something inherent in the 95's networking implementation, I do not know.
I'm pretty fortunate in that normally I have a strong wireless signal throughout the house. Occasionally I'll drop the signal but not often enough to worry about it.

I was primarily wondering if sonically the signal might improve.

Thanks again everyone.
Klimt: You asked above about using MULTIPLE power-line adapters.

I just replaced my ASUS single port Ethernet over power-line connection with another device that provides 4 ports (Linksys Power-line AV 4-Port Network Adapter Kit, PLSK400, $60 from Fry’s). This enables me to plug in my Oppo 105 and Roku 3 direct with no switch box. This means each device has a direct connection (no switch box).

As you requested, the 4-port Linksys will enable you to plug in your computer, Oppo (for audio) and Samsung Blu-Ray player (connected to your flat screen). If needed, you have one remaining port.
Marco1, I do wireless digital file playback via the OPPO 95. I find sound quality to be every bit as good as when playing the physical CD; however, the wireless connection does sometimes go south as Hgeifman says. Whether that is due to something inherent in my wireless signal or something inherent in the 95's networking implementation, I do not know.

Sorry to hijack, but please say more about how you get it to your 95 (I assume it's the same for the 105). I'm lucky enough to be hard-wired to the 'net, but I thought the only way to get high quality audio streamed to the Oppo was via the esata drive connection or a USB stick.
My PC is in a bedroom. My stereo setup (including my Oppo 95) is in my living room at the other end of my house. I stream digital audio files that are stored on my PC's harddrive wirelessly to the Oppo 95. The 95 comes with a "wireless adapter" as does the 105. I have the wireless adapter plugged into the USB port on the front of the 95. This enables the 95 to communicate with my Comcast router, which is a wireless model located in the same bedroom as my PC. My PC is connected to the router with an Ethernet cable (although this connection could also be handled wirelessly if I wanted to do that). On the PC I have the JRiver software installed with all my digital audio files imported into a JRiver library. On an Android tablet I have Oppo's "Media Control" app (for the 95) installed. When I want to use the Oppo to play music that's stored on the PC, I must have the JRiver application running on the PC. I then use the "Media Control" app on the Android tablet to select what I want to play. (Note: There are two different "Media Control" apps, one for 9x series Oppo models and a different one for 10x series models. So when downloading the app from Google, it's important to pay attention to downloading the correct one.) Overall, my experience with the arrangement I've just described has been good; however, the wireless connection does sometimes fail. If there is a sufficient hiccup in the wireless connection, all of a sudden it will sound like the music playback is "skipping". When this happens, I must stop the playback, close and restart the Media Control app, and select again.
Incidentally, there is one more potential twist that I should have mentioned because it's a relevant difference between the 9x series Oppo and the 10x series models. The 10x model is classified as a "DLNA player" and as a "DLNA renderer" whereas the 9x model is only a "DLNA player". Since I don't have a 105, I have not tested it, but my understanding is that the "renderer" capability of a 105 would allow me, if I had a 105, to use the JRiver on my PC to control playback thereby eliminating my current need to use the "Media Control" Android tablet app.
Gz3827, thanks for the response.

However, I'm IOS based, not Android. I'll have to see if iTunes can communicate in a seamless manner with the 95.

Good stuff.
Admranger: To control the BDP-95 using your smartphone or tablet device, please download the remote control app from Apple App Store or Google Play.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-95/blu-ray-BDP-95-Support.aspx

This info is posted on the Oppo Digital web site. If you need more help, please call their 800 number (on web site). Their customer service is excellent.