Start over--HiFi rig ---clean slate

I'm interested in the thoughts of this forum.
All seem to be well read and informed.

IF YOU WERE TO START OVER:

Cost would be a variable and you were to pick the pinnacle of your desires,(& hopefully listened to them) what would it be: Speakers,amp,preamp & source

The format:
1) speaker brand and name
2) amp
3) preamp
4) source

My wish:
1) Thiel cs3.7
Add two velodyne DD-15 subs
2) Devaliet 400 mono-2 ( not listened to)
3) above
4) computer audio- mac with amarra symphony & Dirac IRC

Jeff
frozentundra
By the way, my new system confirms once again (to me) that having stellar electronics matters more than having stellar speakers. As long as the speakers are good enough to be neutral and transparent, your big gains in sound quality come more through your electronics. Of course this is truest with somewhat limited budgets.
The thing is there are many "stellar" speakers of all designs, sizes, costs. At least when matched/integrated into the listening space well. After that, much is about personal preferences.

Getting that good integration into the listening space is most often the problem.

Finding good performing products is not so hard. Getting them all to work together optimally is.
The thing that matters most is not speakers or electronics. It is the room and its acoustic qualities. Equipment quality or budget make little difference if the listening room is wrong.
You're so right Jafant.
Straightwire Maestro - the ONLY constant audio gear on my set-up for 20+ years! They replaced a rather expensive pair of JennaLabs and there is no turning back. Affordable, transparent and uncolored! Built to last a lifetime....or two.
Everything else has come and gone :-)
"Finding good performing products is not so hard. Getting them all to work together optimally is."

This is true, and the reason having fewer variables makes it easier. Instead of having to match interconnects, DACs, preamps, amps, speakers, speaker cables, power cords, etc etc - all in one units like the Wadia means you're just matching speakers, speaker wire, and the all in one electronics.

in this age of few high end stores and even fewer home auditions, removing variables makes the task much easier. And at least with the Wadia, no compromise in sound is required - quite the opposite.