Anything you can put between spikes and carpet?

I've been playing around with my speaker positioning and a recurring issue that I've never quite been able to satisfactorily resolve came up again. While my speakers - Verity Fidelios - have pretty long adjustable spikes on heavy brass footers, I never feel like they're making especially good contact with the subfloor under the carpet and pad. I think I could possibly tighten up my bass response with a more solid contact. Is there anything that I could put the speakers on that would give them a more solid coupling for bass purposes? I was thinking of some heavy MDF squares, or even Corian, but then of course the board is not coupled to the floor. Any thoughts?
grimace
It sounds like the feet on your speakers are too fat to cut through your thick carpet and bight into the wood floor underneath. If that's the case, thin spikes should solve the problem. If you call The Cable Company and tell them what you need, they should have it right in stock.
Ok so I almost hate to bring this up but is it better to try and couple the speaker to suspended wood floor via sharp spikes or isolate it via pads made of concrete, tile, or stone? Thoughts"
I've had this issue before..just enlarge the hole where the spike is with a leather punch or nail...you won't see if you move the speakers later. This is more stable than putting a heavy slab on the carpet
I have my Tonians on a 1 1/2" maple butcher block with metal discs under the spikes. I used to have some flagstone under the butcher blocks and tried many variations with these three elements and ended up without the flagstone, then without the discs, and then with just two per speaker and then under all the spikes, all along with experimenting with speaker cabling.

It took awhile to get what I wanted which made me very aware that even the slightest change alters the sound in a significant way.

Heed all advice but in the end, trust your ears.

All the best,
Nonoise
Thanks for your response. ZD, that's actually not the case. The spikes are very slim and adjustable. I've got them set up that the total of the brass footers (about 1") and the spikes is 2 1/8 inches long. I like Photon's idea as a starting point: simple, cheap, and non-invasive to carpet and floors. I may start by trying that. I am concerned that with the stone not coupled to the floor that it might induce resonances, but I suppose if I get a heavy enough piece of stone...

Great responses, thanks. Anyone else?