Subwoofer's Front Firing vs. Down Firing

What are the benefits of a front-firing sub-woofer (if any) vs. a down-firing? Some have suggested that a front-firing sub may be easier and more flexible in it's room placement. Has this been your experience?
stickman451
I take back my earlier post. Clearly people with knowledge can make firm assertions.
Clearly Duke and Tim do not have enough sales experience to know how a subwoofer works. But it is fun to watch Bo school two guys, who actually know how to build a speaker, on the finer points of subwoofer design. I for one hope it continues to see how deep the hole gets.
Audio is a lot more than only building it. Even at many shows often a subwoofer does not have a belanced sound as it should have. Even when the manufacturers are there at the show.

Often at shows they tell a nice technical story ( at their own frequency), but the demo is not even convincing. Hearing is believing.

They should tell about their products on the same frequency customers think about audio.

What do I hear....this is what counts!!

The people who make things often use a few brands to test. I have often asked brands like Pass Labs, Nordost and Audioquest people about their knowledge in other products of competitors. And different sources and amps they use with their own products.

I was often surprised that they knew less than I thought.

That is why I said a few times; there need to be more communication. The endresults in sound needs to get to a higher level. They need to work more togheter!!
And Soix, as predicted the hole is getting deeper. Very deep in fact. Let's see how deep the hole gets.