External firewire hard drive to go with Mac Mini.

Hope someone could help me out. I'm getting the Tranquility USB DAC. I ordered the Mac Mini and looking to get external 1 or 2 TB firewire hard drive to store my music. Can anyone recommend a QUIET, RELIABLE external hard drive for the Mini? Thanks.
dracule1
It is GF1000T. It is triple interface but only Firewire 400 (is your MAC-Mini 800?). Warranty is only 1 year but I assume that warranty doesn't make item better (Hyundai has better warranty than Toyota) and I keep 3 copies. 1TB external drives are below $100 now. My drive is at floor level (side of the sofa) while I'm sitting on the sofa - perhaps 4 ft between my ear and a drive. I can hear when it comes-up from "sleep mode" but after that is almost silent.

I was toying with idea of drive upgrade to 1TB in my DVR. Drive that was highly recommended by users for it's quietness was Western Digital (don't remember the number). It comes with software that allows you to lower/tweak the noise even further.

My 938s are amazing. These are relatively new speakers (bought recently 6 month old dealer demo) with heavier bracing (changed design in 2004/2005). I only wish for a little more extension (both) but it might be as well an issue of my room acoustic I'm trying to fix now. What are you getting and how is it better than Hyperion? Have you heard 968?
Well, I'm not sure I would use Hyundai and Toyota as an analogy given Toyota's recent debacle. You may be surprised if you test drive the recent Hyundai's. Unfortunately, most HD fail within the first three years, and some in the first year. I think most of these HD makers only give 1 year warranty because they expect it fail not too soon after warranty. I have not had a HD last more than 4 years, so 5 year warranty is reassuring. I have Mac Mini with FW 800.

WD has been recommended for its quietness but it has virtual Smartware you can't get rid of taking up 700 MB of disk space. Seems like there are as many good reviews as bad on WD drives.

Haven't heard the 968's. I've heard it's an improvement over the 938s but not on another level. Hyperion has had some issues with customer support, although I have had great support from them. I'm getting the Ridge Street Audio Sason. It's a two way but sounds like no other two way I've heard, including the Magico Mini's. I can send you some pics if you want, just email me.
I remember Ridge Street Audio Sasons - company is located in Indiana, if remember correctly, and they sell direct. At the time I looked it was too big of a "jump" for me but I keep my eyes open. I think I read "Positive Feedback" review. The way they build them I'm surprised it doesn't cost more.

Toyota problem was exactly the same that Ford has now - people were placing all-weather mats on the top of existing mats in spite of manufacturer warning no to do it. I have two Avalons - 14 year old and 9 year old - 1 small defect on each, that's all. Absolute perfection. Hyundai is pretty good now but even many years ago they had 10 years bumper to bumper warranty. To me it is just different sales strategy - nothing else.

One guy at work does a lot of computer repair for friends and he profoundly dislikes Seagate. I found one (Fantom) that had great reviews but another audiogoner had problems. I assume that drive might fail so it needs backup protection. If it fails every few years I don't mind. Chances that all three drives fail at the same time, while two are in storage unpowered, are zero. I payed more attention to heat and noise.

WD used to be the cheapest (and worse) company 20 years ago but it changed. I wouldn't be afraid to buy WD HD now. Processes are better controlled now and for instance SMT assembly made in China will be of same quality as one made in US.

I found some info on Fantom/Micronet. Micronet does not make drives. Here is info from Micronet website:

"MicroNet / Fantom Drives uses only the highest quality disk drives from top-tier hard disk manufacturers such as: Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi, and Samsung. We carefully vet each model of hard disk we carry to ensure that it meets our rigorous demands for quality and performance. In addition, any disk mechanism we use will meet or exceed the stated specifications for any particular MicroNet or Fantom Drives product."