Room size & choosing speakers

I am new to all of this and trying to find best size speakers for a small room. I recently listened to B & W 802D's (with a McIntosh MC452 & C-50) at a local audio store & loved the sound. It is a great deal of money for me, but worth it if I can create that magic at home.

My fear is that I will be listening in a 10' x 12' room and that the speakers will overwhelm the room. I also think of the B & W 803D's (smaller, less money, not quite as full sounding), and still have the same fear.

Right now I am trying to decide between the 803D's & the 805D's with a good subwoofer (possibly Rel 328 or JL audio F112). Any thoughts or help greatly appreciated.
mksr
I have the 805D's paired with the REL R528 in a room that is 11'X15'. I have tried quite a few larger models over the past five years and I wholeheartedly agree with monitors being the best for your room size. Any floorstander is going to over power that room. The 805Ds will drive an average sized room very well, provided it is driven with quality amplification. Even if you move and increase your room size, it should still work quite well. Good luck and enjoy the research!
Without roomacoustic systems in a small room monitor speakers with a subwoofer will be a much better option. From 2007 till 2009 I sold a lot monitor speakers with subwoofers. I Always took a pair of monitors and a subwoofer with me. Even when people wanted to buy floorstanders. Hearing is believing. Often they were surprised that the monitors and sub gave better results. These days I can easily adapt every floorstander even in a small room with Audyssey. ( or Audyssey Pro) This is a new way of freedom. Technique does change the way we think about acoustics!!
First - thank-you to everybody who contributed to this post. I am new to the site & found all of the information incredibly helpful in discerning what to buy. In the end I listened carefully to 13 different speakers in the $5,000 - $21,000 range and ended up with Magico S1's.
I am thrilled with the choice that I made. I did some of the listening with two friends with great ears and what stood out is that in almost every case we all had the same impressions of every set of speakers. We had the chance to listen to the S1's in a small room (a converted garage) and the musicality, timbre, clarity, fullness of bass far surpassed all of the other speakers in my price range. They are 2 way speakers, but not monitors.
The Magico's can give a stunning 3 dimensional image. Now you understand the difference between 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional. Good luck and a lot of fun.
Just curious about your thoughts on the new Sonus Faber Olympica I.
I understand you didn't care for it, but wondering what specifically you didn't like. My dealer has not received his yet. They look gorgeous from photos, but I am guessing they will be overly warm at the expense of resolution, like other Sonus in my experience...