How long do B&W 800 series speakers last

Hi,

I am curious to know the average life of these high end speakers particularly B&W800 series. Does the surround/ cone material give up with time due to material fatigue, dust and air corrosion etc
Does the SQ degrade.

I assume they last for like 20-30 yrs given the resale prices. I see prices dip to only 50% in 15yrs. Even less for N805's

I am sure 6-7 yrs use is very normal But what about 10-14 yr old nautilus ?
Or how about an matrix 805 treated like a baby for 20 yrs.
amitchandna06
08-24-13: Kr4
Did B&W use foam suspensions in any of the 800 series speakers?

Question to B&W Support

Hi guys -

Can you tell me what type of suspension is used in the different 800 series models.
Matrix
Nautilus
D

My 801 matrix s3 drivers and rubber surrounds look new.
Was a foam suspension ever used in any models.

Thanks

B&W Answer

the foam surround was only used on some of the earlier 800 series. In particular, the 800ASW and PCS8.

All the other models are using polypropylene and various types of rubber.
I've had my Matrix 802/3 since 1993 or so. I've had my Matrix 805s for about 10 years. They've lasted well all this time with no need for repairs. They may eventually need to have the caps in the crossovers replaced but they sound fine so I will wait. The only thing that has happened is that, with all of the sun they have gotten in my listening rooms over the years, there is a slight black shading to the front wood veneers right underneath the black speaker covers. Didn't know the sun could do that. That is about it.