Your choice for budget analog to digital converter

I am embarking on an effort to digitize my brother's vinyl collection for him. What do you recommend for a reasonably capable and priced (<$250) analog to digital converter? Would like at least 24/96 capability. I am doing it here and there so may eventually go through several generations of ADCs, but have start somewhere.

Rest of system: Thorens TD150 mkII, Grado platinum cartridge, Grado phono preamp, Dell Latitude laptop, Audacity software.

Any suggestions appreciated.

PS - in case you are wondering why he is going digital, he is a musician and wants to take his music collection on the road. I get to keep the vinyl, but the time is really a gift. Your time is too, thanks. kn
Ag insider logo xs@2xknownothing
Hi

Sorry about the mix-up. I hope other members can help you out with an ADC for your set-up.

Best of luck with the search.
I have been intrigued with the HRT LineStreamer +, although I have not actually tried it. It is $350. You can get it with a 30 day trial for Music Direct and Amazon. One drawback people have mentioned is that it does not have any volume capability so it may be at the wrong level for some systems.
I have the Linestreamer and it is a fine ADC. The key to getting great results with it is to use the record out from your preamp so that it is fed a standard line level output.
Stevecham,

Thanks, this may be a dumb question, but how is the record out signal from a preamp different from the output from my phono preamp? I always assumed (hoped?) the record out from preamps was a pure pass-through signal. I don't have a preamp, currently running system with phono pre and headphone amp only. kn