Long cable run from my phono preamp to linestage.

Due to constraints of a small 11 x 12 ft listening room and the difficulty accessing my turntable within a vertical rack, I've decided to place my turntable on a small table next to my listening chair. As this setup requires a 4 meter cable run between my turntable and full function preamplifier, I've decided to use a small stand alone phono preamplifier with 68db gain (MC) to sit next to my turntable. I am not terribly experienced with analog. Is it ok to use a 4 meter cable run between phono preamp and linestage? I'm sure it's better than sending an unamplified MC signal over 4 meters of cable to my full function preamplifier. Please note I do not have sufficient room to place my full function pre or my entire rack near the listening chair. Thanks for your opinions. Perhaps I'm overthinking this :))
audiobrian
I am running a 3m cable from my phono pre-amp to my pre-amp. I am using an upgraded cable for the 3m distance. Sounds great to me.
10-27-14: Paraneer
I currently run 5 meters from a phono pre-amp to my integrated on a second table that I recently acquired. No worries!
Paraneer (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

10-27-14: Mcgal
I am running a 3m cable from my phono pre-amp to my pre-amp. I am using an upgraded cable for the 3m distance. Sounds great to me.
Mcgal (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

Paraneer/Mcgal/Dkarmeli, I have no doubt that you guys are getting a nice sound.

But without doing the calculations in my last post, what I'm saying you may not know if your getting the very best out of it.
And to do that I need the output impedance of Audiobrian's phono stage, then I can tell him what (pf) interconnect to use with that long run so he get's 100% quality transfer to his preamp.

Cheers George
But without doing the calculations in my last post, what I'm saying you may not know if your getting the very best out of it.
Well George, I am certainly all for getting the best sound I can get out of my system.

In my case, my second TT is a fully restored Technics SL-1500 with an Audio Technica AT-14sa. I was lucky enough to recently find a brand new, unused ATN14 Shibata stylus for the cartridge. Its just starting to break in now with about 50 hours on it.

I run the stock leads from the TT (I understand they are low capacitance and well suited for this table) to a Pro-ject Phono Box S pre-amp. Load setting are:
Gain - 40 db
Capacitance - 100 pf
Impedance - 47K

Then I run a 5 meter Audioquest Golden Gate interconnect from the pre-amp into an unused line level input on my Marantz PM15S2 LE integrated. This rig gives me 95% of the sound quality as my main TT, a Pro-ject RM5.1 SE/Dynavector 10x5 combo using a 1/2 meter interconnect into the Marantz. Of course I don't expect it to sound better - its my secondary deck.

If you can suggest another cable I should consider, I am all ears. Thanks brother!
Al, I've got a similar situation going. I'm running a 15 to 20 foot SE run from my phono pre to my linestage. No ground loop or hum problems that I can detect.

The output specs of my ARC Phono Pre 8 are 200 ohms unbalanced; recommended load is 50K-100K ohms and 100pF.

And the input specs of my REF 5 SE are 120K ohms Balanced; 60K ohms SE.

Tom Tutay made custom SE I/Cs for me. I recall he said the I/C capacitance is 19 pF per foot. I guess it would be better if I could shorten the run to 5 or 6 feet. Oh well.

Assuming my I/C capacitance is about 400 pF, what impact would that have on the signal??
Bifwynne.
Your output impedance of your AR P8 being 200ohm is fine to use 20ft of interconnect with, as even if the interconnect was 100pf per foot (=2000pf for 20ft) that equates to a -3db of 400khz which is bat hearing teritory.

Paraneer.
For me to calculate yours with your 5mt of interconnect, I need to know the output impedance of the Pro-ject Phono Box S pre-amp, not the load impedance you've posted. Saying that, I've done a google on this Pro-ject and being solid state, I would guess it similar to Bifwynne above.

Tube output phono stages or preamps and passives would have the big ? on them, with these long interconnect runs.

Audiobrian the OP, needs to post what his phono stage output impedance is to see if he will get 100% sound quality transfer. But it looks like he's missing in action, even though he's the one who started this thread.

Cheers George