Class A vs. AB vs. D... can you hear a difference?

All things remaining constant is there an audible difference?

I do not mean tube vs. Solid state.

All solid state.

Some Class A amps go to class AB after so many watts... is there an audible change?

I ask because I have a class AB amp and was thinking about going to a class D set up front for home theater

Thanks

Bill
baranowski
I guess it should be pointed out that I am looking at get peak levels of 105 db. (THX standard)
Hi davehrab, I live in mobile,Alabama, I was being humerous!, However, we did have a bad ice storm here last year that was rare!, we had about a month of below 20 degrees, thats cold to us down here, Honestly, I have no gripes about my amp getting as hot as it does, a none issue for me for the sound quality I get in return, I am happy with, sure there may be better, this is all I need, cheers.
09-01-14: Kijanki
Ngjockey, you have to realize that linear power supply is in reality a primitive switcher that pollutes AC even more. Jeff Rowland designed his latest class AB power amps with SMPS to reduce noise.
this statement was a surprise to me.
can you explain why a linear power supply pollutes more than a SMPS? if it's true, it's certainly contrary to logic....
thanks.
Linear power supply draws current from the mains in narrow spikes of high amplitude. These spikes contain a lot of harmonics that might induce noise in any LC circuit inside as well as coupling to other cables. I called it a primitive switcher because diodes switch on/off when voltage is the highest. It also produces diode switching noise when diode is suddenly reverse polarized and conducts for a moment in opposite direction to finally snap back. In addition to high frequency noise it also produces 120Hz noise that is very hard to filter out. It requires large transformer that produces mechanical noise especially in presence of any DC. It requires a lot of capacitors to clean 120Hz and to keep voltage steady since it is unregulated. These large capacitors contain inductance compromising amplifier response at higher frequencies. Adding non-inductive capacitor in parallel helps but creates parallel resonant circuit (with inductance of main capacitors) that rings.

Modern zero-voltage/zero-current switching SMPS operate at high frequencies (Rowland latest SMPS operates at 1MHz) that are easy to filter out. In addition they often contain Power Factor Correction presenting resistive load. In addition they are line and load regulated with instant response and are not sensitive to presence of DC (can even operate from DC). Jeff Rowland uses SMPS in preamps where efficiency is not important. Benchmark's new power amp contains ultra quiet SMPS resulting in overall S/N=132dB.

http://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier

Bel Canto wrote white paper highlighting advantage of SMPS

http://www.belcantodesign.com/pdfs/EfficiencyandPerformance.pdf

Jeff Rowland also wrote many papers explaining use of SMPS:

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/questions.php?questionid=145
I've owned excellent versions of all 3... I've owned a dozen or so amplifiers in my time and can tell a difference between every amp that I've owned, But I can't say that it because one was Class A... A/B or D... Great amps are available in every class output. I suspect that if you put 3 excellent examples of a Class A, Class A/B and a Class D in any system, most of us would be pretty happy campers.
I currently own a very highly modified Sumo Nine and an amp with Abletec Mono Modules that I built in a stereo case.
Both are very nice... By the way, anyone out there that would like to venture into Class A inexpensively, the Sumo dead stock is pretty good, but proper parts upgrade really make this amp come to like, incredible value.
Overall, I believe that you could make an easy enough argument for tube type or bipolar vs Mosfet or any other output device. Overall, its the design that matters.
I hope this helps, Tim