High End Audio-Gaining Higher Ground?

This is a spin off from a meeting held by audio designers where the primary discussion was about high-end audio and how to get the younger generation interested & involved in high-end audio. One of the speakers mentioned that his son was not the least bit interested in his rig and if something was to happen to him, his son stated it all would be put up for sale on Ebay.

I thought it would be interesting to put this discussion forth to this audio community and to get opinions on the above subject. Are audiophiles a dying breed and what could rekindle this hobby for all new generations.
phd
In regard to standards of quality, mid-fi and hi-fi have improved since I discovered audio in the early 80's (except for speakers). So I'd have to say standards aren't lower. We tend to get more fidelity for the money.

I'm ready to get hammered on this one.
I think it is because Asians tend to place more emphasis on music in their lives. It's a matter of cultural values, IMHO. There are many Asians at American HiFi shows. Also, many in my local Philharmonic Orchestra also happen to be Asians. I do not think that music or music reproduction is on such a high scale in the American way of life.

Asians, in general, seem to place a much greater value on music and musical reproduction than Americans do. I'm ready to get hammered on this one.
I bet Americans spend as much or more on music, going to concerts, etc as any culture but drinking is the number 1 social activity and you don't need a $50k stereo to have fun when your slamming down beer and whiskey. Now that weed is gaining legal ground maybe people will be more apt to get high and listen to pink floyd and seek better stereos like we have.
maybe people will be more apt to get high and listen to pink floyd and seek better stereos like we have.

We can only hope! lol. Stranger things have happened...