Magnepan MG2.6R
Bryston 4B
Bryston .5B
Rega Planar 3
Linn K9
Cal Icon

128x128zavato
Obviously "hi-end" is relative:

Early 70s - Minerva receiver, Webcor turntable w/nickle tonearm tweak, groovy Craig (?) 8 track player, Utah speakers
The one I have now. I call it vintage "Hi-End" Infinity RS-1s run by a Threshold S/300 and Pioneer Spec2. Just waiting for some nice VTLs to try on the top end. Even my CD player is "vintage" 10 year old Pioneer Elite DVD player. All sounds good to me.
1978 with a pair of Kef 105/2, Meridian 105 monos, Oracle Alexandria/FR-14/Dynavector Ruby. Still have the Kefs and Meridians in the closet. Sold the Oracle.
1977- Tannoy Cheviots, Technics sl 1700, Ortofon m20 super E, Yamaha cr 1020, and the most expensive lamp cord I could buy. Very musical, simple and fun as all get out.
Back in early 1970s -- Crown IC-150 preamp; Crown DC 300 amp; Infinity 2000a speakers with ESL tweets; Thorens TD 160 Mk II table and $80 Ortofon cartridge; hardware store lamp wire for the amp/speaker connects.

This was a good system in the day. I recall that the 2000a speakers were on J Gordon Holt's Class B list for speakers. I'm pretty sure J Gordon was a fan of the Crown gear too.

Fast forward funny story. I set my kid up with a small stereo rig for his apartment. Rega R-5 speakers (about $1000/pair); Crown DC 300A factory reconditioned amp and my first ARC SP-9 Mk I preamp.

The SP-9 has been at a local ARC service station for a check-up and for preventative replacment of some caps and resisters for a week or so. I lent my son my Crown IC-150 pre to use while the SP-9 was getting spit-polished. He reported back that his little rig sounds like he's got a sock stuffed in his ears. I guess that says something about the ARC SP-9.

Well ... just picked up the SP-9 today. Looks good. It'll be interesting to know whether my son can really tell the difference.