Accuphase Power Amps

I'm interested in buying one of the following:-
Accuphase A-35 or Accuphase P-4200
Does anyone out there own or have heard either of these components. I've heard good things and of course one is Class A and one Class A/B so there will be merits with one over the other. I listen to mostly classical music and own the Accuphase C2420 Pre and DP-510 CD Player. I can't run to the more money components higher up the ladder but evidently these are special for what they are unless anyone has any negatives.
beat496575
Good question. However, the P-4200 should be able to drive most speakers out there, I'd say.
Hi Dave, we do not know his/her speakers and listening habits. The P-4200 may be overkill.

When it comes to choosing between Accuphase class A and A/B amps the situation is quite simple. While the class A amps sound a bit better than the class A/B amps, IMO one can not be happy with a class A amp if it is constantly clipping. Therefore, one should buy a class A amp if:

1) has efficient speakers
2) listens music to not very high volume levels
3) does not listen mostly to large orchestras and/or large big bands (i.e. music styles that have large dynamic variations)

Paul
Hi Nvp, yes I know and understand all of that. However, it's better to have more power in most cases. It's my opinion that the P-4200 is the better amp overall. Of course the A-35 will sound richer and smoother, but the P-4200 wins in most areas. On the other hand, I don't think he can go wrong either way.
Hi,
How efficient is Spendor SP100R 89db sensitivity........I would have thought enough for symphony recordings with the P-4200 but not so sure with the A-35....what do you think?
Simon
Hi Simon,
When Nvp says, "has efficient speakers", I can only assume he's speaking of speaker sensitivity. As sensitivity of a speaker goes up, less power is required for volume and dynamic peaks.

The A-35 is rated at 30w/ch, and the P-4200 is rated at 90w/ch, or an approximatly 4.75db difference in power. So the P-4200 is capable of dynamic SPL peaks about 5db higher than those of the A-35 on the same speaker. Also, a 94db speaker with the A-35 will have the same capability as an 89db speaker with the P-4200.

I have listened to Accuphase Class A and Class A/B, and agree with the other comments regarding this, however to answer the original question, it would be helpful to know,

1) listening volume - low, moderate, or high
2) listening distance
3) amp you have previously used with the Spendors

I am assuming that some of your symphony recordings will have a wide dynamic range.