Accuphase Power Amps

I'm interested in buying one of the following:-
Accuphase A-35 or Accuphase P-4200
Does anyone out there own or have heard either of these components. I've heard good things and of course one is Class A and one Class A/B so there will be merits with one over the other. I listen to mostly classical music and own the Accuphase C2420 Pre and DP-510 CD Player. I can't run to the more money components higher up the ladder but evidently these are special for what they are unless anyone has any negatives.
beat496575

Showing 8 responses by beat496575

Hi,
How efficient is Spendor SP100R 89db sensitivity........I would have thought enough for symphony recordings with the P-4200 but not so sure with the A-35....what do you think?
Simon
Thank you for yet another informative response. I'm using a Bryston 4BSST2 that I think has 300w into 8ohms. I consider my volume levels are moderate, certainly not high and I sit about eleven foot from speaker front. I have one&half foot behind my head, two&half feet to side of speakers and four&half feet behind speaker. My Mahler/Bruckner type symphonies are original early 1980 presings that on the Telarc label, for example, warn in the sleeve print of the wide dynamic range of the recording because no compression or equalization was used.
Simon
The room is 17 feet x 14 feet x 11 feet high ceiling. Not sure what that is in CC.
Simon
Dave,
There was a big lift in audio quality once the C2420 went in the system, substituting the Bryston BP26 Pre-amp. It felt like the 4BSST2 was all along the strongest component in my entire Bryston chain. If it wasn't for the colour match bothering me with the champagne image then I could easily live with it. Depth, realism, surreal black silence, control, better dynamics and less grain were all immediately apparent after burn in, suggesting we are talking a very competent Bryston Power but more to the point possibly the best Pre-amp I've ever heard!
Simon
Dave..............Pre-amp C2420 by a distance, not really a contest. Biggest leap I've heard with changing one single component or cable with another in 25 years of hi-end dedication. However, One caveat would be assurance of quality source.
Simon
Hi Dave,
With my new installation, now thoroughly burned in, it would be difficult to imagine how the C2820 is worth $13,000 of more transparency. Indeed, on listening to my C2420 one could say there is no need at all to want more on any aspect of audio reproduction. It has all the favourable words that describe superior or world class audio to my ears while my speakers have disappeared and the orchestral concert hall soundstage has a 'real-life' experience to enjoy at a level that I have never before been privileged too. For the record it has been enhanced considerably, it that was possible with the introduction of the P4200 Power..............wow!
Simon
Dave. I'm using XLO Limited Edition Balanced from source and the Un-Limited Balanced between amps. I've also got the Signature S3.1's (single-ended)and to be honest I'm still not sure which I prefer. Thinking i may have to open a new thread asking about that subject!
Simon
Nvp: I'm sure the C28 series are truly amazing. I trust Accuphase, almost to the point of demo's telling me nothing I didn't already think. My consideration for Pre-amp was monies but the top man at the German Importer suggested a big and noticable improvement with the C2420 over the C2410. The sceptic would say he would but Accuphase own site words their brief as though it is something special and i didn't want to have a miss-match with the 'baby' P4200 Power that is a thing of beauty to the eyes and ears.
Simon