Replace Amp or Preamp?

First let me start by saying that im very satisfied with my budget system which currently consist of:
Electron Kinetics Eagle 400 mono blocks
Mcintosh CR10 zone control preamp
Theata data basic/Theata data universal 3 transport
Dunlavy SC4 speakers

I do notice that on some difficult passages I get a little jumble in the music not enough to make me disatisfied but I do notice it from time to time. I have been told by some that the weak point is the CR10 seeing how it is not a true preamp but more of a zone controler. Ive had one person blame it my amps saying that they were good bass amps but thats about all. To each his own but I love the amps as I find them warm and musical.
I have looked at couple preamps but not sure what direction to go thus far im looking at the following:

Audio Experience Symphonies tube preamp
Theata Theta Casablanca

Ive looked at several older Mac preamps but can not bring my self to pay more for a piece of equipment than it cost brand new.

Any suggetions on the 2 preamps mentioned above would be great or any others in the $300 to $500 range that are currently avaliable would be great. For those that think I should be looking at amps as the weak point what do you think of the emotiva XPA-1 amps or any recomendations in the $1000 range?

Thanks
2channeljunkie
2channeljunkie
Your digital front end is several generations behind the times, You might try to borrow a newer DAC and, for purposes of getting a handle on the preamp position, try one with decent integrated volume control. A Benchmark, for example.
Drubin both Data's are just transports. I forgot the name of my DAC as I put this post together. I will look when I get home and add it to this post.
Your Pre-amp is definatley the weak link. I owned the MAC CR10 and it is average at best. I like your suggestion of the tubed pre or maybe try and find a NAD C162 which is an excellent pre-amp for the money. (maybe $350 used?)
Mik971 thanks for the input! Here in Columbus Ohio all the audio shops have closed their doors. So no more trying diffrent gear in your rig it's all internet driven so you have to buy then try and resale if that piece dosent go with your gear or you dont like the gear!
If your amps seem to drive your speakers well, pick up a used pre-amp on A-Gon. That way you can sell if for some reason it is not a good match and not loose much. I think it will be pretty easy and you will be thrilled with the results. Again, the McIntosh works well for a switcher, but not as a pre. The difference will be dramatic and be money well spent. If you listen to mainly digital sources, get a tubed pre if you can afford. It is a great way to try tubes with very little technical skill needed.