Replace Amp or Preamp?

First let me start by saying that im very satisfied with my budget system which currently consist of:
Electron Kinetics Eagle 400 mono blocks
Mcintosh CR10 zone control preamp
Theata data basic/Theata data universal 3 transport
Dunlavy SC4 speakers

I do notice that on some difficult passages I get a little jumble in the music not enough to make me disatisfied but I do notice it from time to time. I have been told by some that the weak point is the CR10 seeing how it is not a true preamp but more of a zone controler. Ive had one person blame it my amps saying that they were good bass amps but thats about all. To each his own but I love the amps as I find them warm and musical.
I have looked at couple preamps but not sure what direction to go thus far im looking at the following:

Audio Experience Symphonies tube preamp
Theata Theta Casablanca

Ive looked at several older Mac preamps but can not bring my self to pay more for a piece of equipment than it cost brand new.

Any suggetions on the 2 preamps mentioned above would be great or any others in the $300 to $500 range that are currently avaliable would be great. For those that think I should be looking at amps as the weak point what do you think of the emotiva XPA-1 amps or any recomendations in the $1000 range?

Thanks
2channeljunkie
2channeljunkie

Showing 4 responses by mik971

Your Pre-amp is definatley the weak link. I owned the MAC CR10 and it is average at best. I like your suggestion of the tubed pre or maybe try and find a NAD C162 which is an excellent pre-amp for the money. (maybe $350 used?)
If your amps seem to drive your speakers well, pick up a used pre-amp on A-Gon. That way you can sell if for some reason it is not a good match and not loose much. I think it will be pretty easy and you will be thrilled with the results. Again, the McIntosh works well for a switcher, but not as a pre. The difference will be dramatic and be money well spent. If you listen to mainly digital sources, get a tubed pre if you can afford. It is a great way to try tubes with very little technical skill needed.
I also owned the AR LS1 tube hybrid pre-amp. It is an excellent sounding unit!! It did not work in my listening area because it had a stepped volume control so I couldn't dial in the exact volume i wanted. (amp didn't match perfectly) I think you would be very happy with the AR or possibly a used Conrad Johnson if you can spend a little more..
Tough choice. I am familiar with the ARC unit and it is excellent. I have only heard the Conrad Johnson PV3, PV10 which are both excellent. I would stick with a tubed/tube hybrid pre if it were my choice. The Motif line of pre-amps have good feedback online, but are solid state so you can't fine-tune the sound with tube rolling. Either way you won't go wrong as it will be a large improvement over the McIntosh.