PRIMA LUNA owners, what power tube are you using?

To all Prima Luna owners, specifically those with a DiaLogue One integrated amp (although owners of the new Premium amps and the ProLogue series are more than welcome to chime in with opinions and feedback), which power tube are you currently using? Which others have you tried in the same amp, and what made you prefer the ones you ended up going with? And, of course, please specify what speakers you are using the amp with.

I own a DiaLogue One myself. Happy owner for close to 4 years now. It comes standard with EL-34's, and it's, in fact, designed for that specific tube. But Prima Luna amps are a tube-roller's delight, and the manufacturers encourage trying other types.

Personally, and after experimenting with the Gold Lion KT-88's and Tung Sol KT-120's, I ended up going full circle and back to where I started: the stock EL-34 tubes. These are labeled as "Prima Luna", but are actually made by Shuguang in China and, supposedly, only the best rated ones end up being used for the Prima Luna amps.

My system consist of the DiaLogue One, Sonus Faber Toy Towers, and Oppo 95 for CD's, SACD's and digital files (mostly hi-res and FLAC files sourced from an external drive), Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 SE with a Dynavector 10X5 for analog, and Nordost cables all around (Brahma PC, Heimdall and Red Dawn LS interconnects, etc).

My journey could basically be described like this: I started with EL-34's, loved the sweetness, transparency and midrange magic but needed a little more grip on the low-end (and also detected a hint of harshness in the upper highs from time to time), so I switched to the re-issued Gold Lion KT-88's. The Prima Luna auto-bias feature took care of the rest. I LOVED that combination (and loved the way the Gold Lions LOOK, as inconsequential as that sounds), but reliability was an issue. One exploded while in use, and the rest would loose their sparkle and life in less than a year, with moderate to low use on the amp. At $200+ per quad for tubes that don't even last a year, things get expensive really quickly, so I needed an alternative.

I then tried the KT-120's that everybody was raving about and that were actually cheaper than the Gold Lions. Originally, they were not my cup of tea. Too aggressive and bright on the one hand, but not that much different than the Gold Lions when it came to added bass grip and control. I actually gave them a second chance, burned them in for at least 200 extra hours and they definitely got better (less harsh on the top, rounder in the mids, but, again, with no extra "grip" gained on the bottom). Still, the magic was just not there and my amp was never designed with that tube in mind anyway, so why even bother?

I then went back to the stock EL-34's that I still had sitting in the closet. These were not as "sweet" and "magical" as I originally remembered them, ironically, offering bass aplenty (albeit looser, slightly sloppier bass, a quality that for some reason I tend to like on most material since it seems to allow the music to feel more tangible, less sterile and artificial), and an incredibly more open, extended and detailed soundstage, which definitely got "wider" and more STABLE when compared to the KT-120's. With the emphasis being on the mids, there's a lot of details to be gained that were perhaps a little obscured by the more linear characteristics of the KT-88's and KT-120's. Notes in the upper-lows are now considerably more clear and I'm simply hearing a ton more music in the bass and low end. Yes, the KT-120's were sturdier and allowed my Sonus Faber Toy Towers to go a little lower, no question, but at the expense of detail and finesse, I believe. This translates into a significantly more "crystalline" presentation, with the well-known musicality and ripeness of the EL-34 in place, and one that I am finding myself preferring. It all works wonders with jazz and classical, particularly with strings, but rock albums actually sound more vibrant as well. Certain passages tend to break up a little bit, but oddly enough this only happens with very few instances of highly distorted guitars and/or very, very complex passages on extreme metal albums (a genre I also love). Overall, though, I think the EL-34's are back and staying, at least for now. Next experiment: the Gold Lion KT-77's. Anybody have any experience with them?

Would love to hear about your own experiences.
beyondarkness
Leersfool, I had the same exact experience, those 12AU7's were better than we thought.
Another vote for (EH) EL-34's . Better by far than the KT-88's that came stock . My Prologue II is driving Ref. 3a Di Cappo i's .
Have you tried rolling the input tubes ? They can make quite a difference .
My Prologue , stock , sounded quite solid statish to me . Not really much of the traditional tube sound that I was seeking . Now it is a whole different sound .
What are you trying to accomplish with a tube change ?

Good luck
Thank you all for the feedback. I'm happy to read that I'm not the only one preferring the EL-34 sound, nor the stock Prima Luna tubes, which seem to be a lot better than folks give them credit for.

I did run into a little bit of a dilemma, though. When I switched from the KT-120's back to the amp's stock EL-34 tubes (and after I collected my jaw from the floor and kicked myself in the head for having sacrificed all that sweetness, midrange magic, openness and transparency for so long), most of my listening was done using the digital side of my system (an Oppo 95 playing mostly FLAC and hi-res files from an external drive, and SACDs via Nordost Heimdall interconnects). This combination sounded simply glorious. All the usual attributes of the EL-34 sound were there, but bass was also abundant and tuneful. It wasn't as tight as with the KT-120's, but nor was it excessive or bloated. In my room and with my speakers, it was simply JUST RIGHT. My digital "front end" never sounded better! In fact, it never sounded this smooth and analog-like. I could listen to this combination for hours and hours, and that is precisely what I have been doing lately.

BUT, when I finally decided to listen to some vinyl (Pro-Ject RM 5.1 SE table with Dynavector 10X5), the synergy was not as magical. In short, for whatever reason, unknown to me, the bass is considerably weaker now. Tight, ripe and alive using digital, and yet VERY limited in extension when switching to analog. Low bass is almost NON-EXISTENT. My Sonus faber Toy Towers now sound like terrific monitors instead of 3-way (almost) full range towers. The midrange magic is there more than ever, but I'm missing the foundation. Phono pre-amp is a Pro-Ject Phono Box S. I triple-checked all the settings and nothing had changed since the last time. I have to say that the KT-120 and KT-88s were a better match in this case, particularly since I listen to a lot of 70's rock on vinyl.

So, now, of course, I miss my Gold Lion KT-88's. I know the 120's are NOT for me (too harsh and bright, too "solid-state" for digital), and if anything these last few days serve as confirmation and reminder that I am more of an "EL-34 type of guy". But I listen to vinyl a lot and now there's something not quite right with this tube and my table/cartridge combination. Digital sounds like analog and analog sounds TOO soft and with no real "bite". I REALLY, REALLY love the Prima Luna with EL-34's and my digital front-end, but I am torn as to what to do to aid bass extension when listening to vinyl. I might have to give the Gold Lion KT-88s another try, hoping NOT to loose much of the beauty of the EL-34's in the process.

Could any of you folks with similar experiences share your thoughts, try to explain to me WHY such a huge discrepancy in overall presentation is apparent between digital and analog, or recommend an EL-34 that that has a little more of a pronounced and ballsier low-end? Thanks in advance.
Sorry you have this problem. Kevin at Upscale might be a good resource. My TT is hooked up to my Cary V12, Cary SLP combo. I did hook it up with the Primaluna for a short time, everything was a-ok via a Ballari V129 tube phono. Good luck.
i used el34's in my PL2.

1 winged C and 1 new sensor mullard in each channel

great combo