SET amps ?

Hi all, I have been a budget system builder since the mid 70's.I still have my first system ( Marantz 1060/Pioneer PL 12D ,JBL l36.I stopped in the mid 80"s for kids.I have Adcoms,NADs several Marantz's you know the deal.Anyway I picked up a pair of Tekton 4.1's and have them powered by an NAD 314.The question is , is now the time to try a SET tube amp ? I have been looking at several in the $750.00 to $1500.00 range. I do have a nice small listening room for the 4.1's . The Dared MP 2A3c looks interesting at the price.Any feed back would be helpful.How long do the tubes tend to last ? Thanks...
128x128jazzman463
Hi Charles1dad,As good as I thought my was,it took a giant step forward when I replaced my Kuzma Reference with the TW GT turntable and 10.5 tonearm
I am waiting for the arrival of some upgrades for the turntable which should bring it to even higher level.
I often wonder what the Hornings would sound like with your
Franks.I'm headed to Atlantic City and if Lady Luck is kind to me I may be calling Isreal Blume.
I hope all the posters realize that it's not just the speaker amp combo.Its the entire system that must work together in a room that will allow the majesty of music to shine.
Enjoy your wonderful system
Goldeneraguy,
I belive the vast majority posting here acknowledge the concept of room interactions and entire system effect. Your Horning is one of a few speakers I'd really be curious to hear (also Phy driver based speakers) with the Frankenstein amplifier. I think you'd enjoy speaking with Israel Blume.
Charles,
Charles ,
If you find yourself out here on Long Island you are most welcome for a listen.
Beware, you might fall in love with my Tron Syren and that would hurt the pocketbook
I think the Syren is the cornerstone of my ststem
Enjoy
Ed

Thank you Charles for providing a few examples. I must say they all look nice particularly the 50 watt Absolare which is quite stunning looking. At 37K a pair I would expect its performance to match its looks and that price. The Allnic at 19.5K looks more promising to us more "pedestrian" audiophiles. I was thinking on the line of something more modestly priced like the Coincident Frankenstein which also looks quite nice. I see you have this amp but at 8 watts it would seemingly require a quite efficient speaker to make full range, large scale music come alive as I have come to expect. I doubt the DeCapos I am currently using at 92db would be efficient enough for use of an 8 watt amp for my needs and room size. Less can certainly be more as long as it's enough.
You might be surprised at how far 8 watts of SET power can take you. The DeCapo's are very good and an easy load to drive. Depending on your room size and how loud you like to listen, 8 watts could easily work. A lot will depend on the quality of the output transformers and it's impedance. However, as a case in point our 300B SET (12 watts) was used with Fritzspeaker Carbon 7 monitors at 87dB and 6 ohms in a 13 x 18 room and we could not clip the amp. We were getting SPLs over 90dB quite easily. If anything the room itself prevented us from really cranking it up.