Remote volume control = unacceptable compromise?

Reading through some of the threads it seems that the absence of a remote control on a pre or integrated is a ‘deal breaker’ for some here. These are my experiences. A couple of years back, at a private listening session with a maker (anonymous ‘cos it really doesn’t matter who because the thread might loose focus) had 2 preamps identical other than one had a remote volume control and other was manual. Both volume controls made by Alps. Apparently these are among the best.

Using a digital source with twin analogue outputs and full-range speakers and a sophisticated SPL meter the system was set up to switch, using a Manley Skipjack, between the two preamps. At identical SPLs for both, the differences were clear. At low SPL, detail retrieval was reduced when the remote control was used. At normal listening levels the differences were slight and at realistic levels the remote unit sounded a bit harsh. Or perhaps the manual unit was less detailed? Hard to say for sure.

There was a difference. The amp designer didn’t prime us with his own opinions. The preamps were behind us. Switching was random.

It was a bit of a ear-opener for me. Based on this the designer decided not to proceed, for the foreseeable future, with a remote preamp. This was because of unacceptable sonic compromises. He pointed out that while circuits can be constructed by him with endless different component configurations, neither he nor his competitors were in a situation to build from scratch a remote control volume mechanism. He reasoned that his years of work should not be compromised because of the compromises made by OEM suppliers.

Some pointed out that he was missing a part of the market. He agreed – but said while acknowledging this, he felt his buyers valued performance over convenience. Before the demo I’d have disagreed. During the demo though, I changed my mind. Nothing has happened to me since that time to change back.
128x128bigaitch
Albertporter and Kr4 are both right. Alps is an off the shelf solution. Its different thing altogether when a volume control is designed and built in house. Usually a different resistor is used for each step in volume. The downside is that its very expensive to do this in both parts and labor.

Shubert also makes a really good point. Sometimes it hard to get the volume just right with a remote.
Post removed 
Those off the shelf blue alps (basically a motorized RK27, which itself is a $15 part) are not adequate for very high quality preamps, though you'll often see them in units up to around $4K MSRP. As noted, there are a number of other remote control solutions that don't sacrifice sound quality.

The original Rogue Hera, which I use myself, has a motorized stepped attenuator (as did the more affordable Athena). The mechanism is by far more substantial and impressive than the cheap alps. While the action isn't the smoothest, it serves its purpose (remote control), and the sound quality is without fault. A few years ago Rogue switched to a motorized TKD pot, because lots of folks don't like steppers, but I love mine and kept it through the upgrade to Hera II status. Wouldn't part with mine. I wonder if Rogue would still build a stepper unit by request.

I think VAC's new Statement preamp uses an Alps RK50 pot -- which (unlike the RK27) IS an impressive top class volume control, and I believe they've motorized it. I mean, at the cost of this unit, it MUST be remote controlled, right?
Think Chase RCL 1, a $100 add on that provides all remote functions, including balance and tone. Try one, you may be surprised. I know, I know, it is a solid state unit that some will think would degrade the sound. Is that true? Only you can determine and at $100 it will be fun to try. So, stop 'thinking' and just do it. Comes up on eBay all the time.
11-13-13: Albertporter
Bdgregory
Interesting, but I still won't buy a non-remote pre, and don't
understand why a remote motor can't be installed without affecting the
sonics.

There are volume controls that have a motor attached that do not affect sonics. The first two that come to mind are Aesthetix IO and Allnic L3000.

just as I suspected. I couldn't imagine a reasonably competent engineer couldn't design a remote that completely removes the mechanism from the signal path - even if it's an outboard servo motor (like you see on Turntables). I think those who don't offer it are simply making a business decision.