Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Matt,

I ordered an Amp Audio for my iPhone,so I no longer need an expensive hifi system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky9IIi5Qkoc#t=108
Matt,

We are actually in full agreement.

When I put up this list :-
"1. Cool, dry, lean, thin, fast -> FIR1/2
2. Warm, slow, boomy, laid-back -> SDLY 1/2
3. Balanced - DSD",
I meant that the settings to be used depends on the overall sound of a system or recording. So, if cool, dry, etc -> use FIR. If warm, slow, etc -> use SDLY. And in a well balanced system, the DSD setting is best.
Hope this clarifies.

As to your finding that the ODSE is better as a straight DAC, I predicted that in several posts back. :) What might improve your current SQ is the addition of a usb-spdif converter from the mac mini to the ODSE.

Cheers! J.
I believe audio DAC is nothing but electronic technology and technology improve daily. The absolute top tier DAC is the latest and newest DAC on the market such as the Asynchronous DACs.
Agreed Beewax, although that may be the vaguest generalization I have agreed with in a while…

Yes, the best is the best, until something better comes along…

Einstein was the greatest proponent of that concept - he felt that his theories of relativity were simply the most accurate approximation of how the laws of physics work. He openly admitted that his theories were wrong, but that it would take someone smarter then him, and with better technology, to understand the next step of those theories and create a better and more accurate approximation. But until that happened, his were the best we had.

In fact, isn't it our very nature as humans (que the impassioned music) to constantly reinvent our successes and push the boundaries of yesterdays advances to make them tomorrows rung on a never ending ladder of advancements and technological achievements? Is it not our goal, neigh our responsibility, to ever strive for that top tier to enjoy it's wonders for but a moment as we rise again to climb the mountain of infinite altitude! For we, as audiophiles, have placed upon us the most passionate and unyielding drive to hear beyond hearing and step through the boundaries of science and art to realize the very core of our own musical reality and being.

Until the next best thing comes out, it's my goal to find the best there is right now. I'm happy I have undertaken this quest. I have learned tons along the way and look at all the new, wonderful, friends I made along the way!!

Amen!

Hallelujah!