Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Hi agear, interesting, please tell me what a ionic earth ground is?, I know what dedicated earth grounds are, and shared main earth ground is for entire home, pardon me, I never heard this term before, BTW +1 on your post concerning room trearments, seen this, done all this, most sounded like mausoleums!, I suppose everyone has to learn from their own mistakes in audio, we all do, the never ending merry go round.
Trying to understand....

Isn't a dedicated Earth ground simply using a shielded grounding wire from the outlet to the panel? So it doesn't directly share it's ground with anything else until it's in the panel? If yes, how does that differ from the standard non shielded ground in the Romex since its a dedicated outlet and doesn't share it's ground with anything between the outlet and the panel? I use plastic single gang boxes, so they don't need to be grounded.
11-12-14: Ctsooner
I'd recommend for your electrical is to have totally separate and grounded (to earth) circuits for EACH outlet. I did that and it makes a huge difference.

11-12-14: Agear
I too have dedicated lines with with isolated earth (ionic) grounds.
Matt, I would advise against this, if I am correctly interpreting that what is being recommended is running outlet grounds to an earth connection other than the one that grounds the service panel. If that is not a correct interpretation of what is being suggested, I'm sure the others will clarify further.

See section 1.2 on pages 7 and 8 of this paper by Bill Whitlock of Jensen Transformers, who is a renowned expert on such matters. Note the concluding sentence: "If multiple ground rods are used, Code requires that they all MUST be bonded to the main utility power grounding electrode." Also note the section starting at the bottom of page 3, "myths about earth grounding and wires."

As explained in section 1.2 of the paper, having earth connections for the system that are separate from that of the main service panel is a code violation, a shock hazard and a fire hazard in the event of an equipment fault, and a hazard to the equipment (or worse) in the event of a nearby lightning strike. And I'll add that it would also be a potential excuse for your insurance company to not pay in the event of one of these disasters.

You may want to start a separate thread on the subject of AC wiring and grounding, which will probably catch the eye of Jea48 (Jim), who is our leading expert here on such matters.

Regards,
-- Al
Thanks guys. My lines are run and I don't want to pull any more 10 gauge romex. I have 4 dedicated 10 gauge lines - each running to it's own outlet.

This conversation is happening on my system thread also. I got some great suggestions for ground loop control if I end up with any issues. My electrical system is VERY quiet since I live on a street with only 10 houses covering over 40 acres. And I had an Eaton whole house surge suppression system installed 6 months ago.

I ran 4 exactly identical lengths of 10/2 romex with the ground wire insulated in its own sub-channel in the romex.I don't think grounding issues will be a problem. If they are, I can always add an Environmental Potentials EP-2750 ground filter to each circuit in the sub-panel or Granite Audio Ground Zero #502 if its really needed.

Here's some interesting questions though...

1) Do you think that the motor system for my turntable needs to be connected to the same circuit as my phono stage or can I just run it to a standard accessory outlet next to the rack? I have a Teres Audio table and the motor is a totally separate module (its actually a trickle charger that charges a marine battery). There is an optical sensor built into the table to monitor speed, but that sensor is far away from the arm/cartridge and platter. The arm and cartridge are isolated and grounded to the phono stage.

I'm thinking its fine to plug it into the accessory outlet.

2) Should I keep the monitor for my computer plugged into the same outlet as my computer (which will be plugged into the "Digitial" dedicated line behind the rack)? or can I run that to the accessory circuit as well?

I'm thinking run it to the "Digital" dedicated line since it's connected to the computer directly with a video cable.

-OR-

should I run an identical length run of 14/2 romex to the sub-panel for a "dedicated" 15 amp accessory circuit for the turntable motor and the computer monitor? It would share a common ground at the sub-panel (which currently only has the 4 dedicated 20 amp circuits).

Hummmmmm......
Matt (or anyone else) will you be at Audio Connection on Sat the 22nd for Richard Vandersteens visit? I'm going to head down, weather permitting. I should be there from start to finish as I have some auditioning to do in addition to the event. I'm in FULL code as to how my electrical system is set up. None of my 6 pack of wall outlets connect in anyway, so I don't get cross talk. I'm not sure what he did, but there is a separate breaker for each one in the box. The electrician is also an audiophile and I don't think he used Romex either. It may be all copper. I honestly don't remember it all, but he had fun installing it all. Said it wasn't complicated or anything. I know I have a huge main box and an aux box too for extra circuits for my wood working shop in the basement.