laid back speakers

hi guys
i hav a bright nakamichi av-8 amp. i am looking for moderately priced under $1000 laid bacl speakers which u should not get fatigued after listening to..
any suggestions are welcome..
av2008
Many people regard the Vandersteen 2Ce / 2Ce Signature as "laid back". I think it is mellow rather than laid back, but that's quibbling over wording. What the Vandy 2Ce / 2Ce Signature does do, however, is work in a forgiving way with a lot of solid state equipment, and it may be just the ticket for you.
Von Schweikert VR-1. Warm, easy to drive, great sounding, imaging, soundstage, detail, etc.
And when you tire of the laid back sound of the Vandersteen's. Just rip of those too thick of socks they use and you have a whole new speaker.
I second the Vandersteen nomination. I have a pair of 2Ci's and they are mellow, laid back, whatever you wish to call it. A very easy speaker to listen to and very forgiving of upstream electronics.
Scottht, I'm intrigued by your suggestion of removing the socks for a different sound. How does this change the speaker? Sometimes I think they're too mellow. Does sock removal help?