VR-4JR or USHER 6371

Hi everyone
I am new to the forum and find myself in the (un?)fortunate position of rebuilding my entire home theater/stereo system. I am looking to spend somewhere in the 4k region for main speakers. They will do about 50/50 stereo and home theater duty. I have read alot about the VR4jr and will soon be able to hear them. I have also heard good things, although not as much press, regarding the ushers. I unfortunately have a somewhat small living room in which i will be setting up. The speakers will have to go along the longest wall. 10x16x8tall. I have some lattitude in sellecting acoustic treatment to improve my oddball room. the speakers will have to be placed up against the rear wall and not allowed to be pulled into the room. Has anyone here heard both speakers? Any insight would be great as I haven't heard ny of the usher line.
Cheers
Sam
superfly676

Hi!

I have not heard the specific Usher speakers you mention. The Ushers I have heard (929 and 6311), and compared to the VR-4jr and VR-2, I found to be boomier and less defined in the bass. So, if you feel the VR-4jr will be marginal with regard to mid-bass in your room then the Ushers are likely to be worse, in my opinion.

Have you given the VR-2 a try? The VR-2 may be a better fit to your room. How about the Consonance Eric 3? It is a little smaller than the VR-2. I would place the Eric 3 between the VR-2 and VR-4jr in terms of sound quality. I feel the Eric 3 is actually more revealing of detail than the VR-4jr but does not have the ability to bring the musicians in the room quite like the VR-4jr.

Just a note … I am not a dealer. Nor am I associated with Consonance or Von Schweikert, other than being very happy with their products that I have purchased and/or auditioned.

Have fun!
Thanks for the input Lowfi!
I was just out looking around and found a "cache" of various eggleston speakers including the rosa and stella? ( I hadnt heard of the Stella before). They sounded impressive but i am not sure if they best the VR 4jr or not. Does anyone know if the eggleston speakers are time/phase aligned? They look great so I know the wife will "pass" them.
It is so difficult to compare speakers when you can't hear them in the same room or with even remotely similar equipment!Can anyone compare the VR4jr to the eggleston rosa or fontaine I and or II? Can anyone stop me from asking questions?
I have heard the VR-4jr and the Usher 6391 but not the 6371. The 6391 is the bigger brother of the 6371. The VR-4's mid range was very impressive. Very clear and realistic but the bass was a little boomy. This was probably due to the room acoustic. The Usher 6391 was very fast and warm sounding. While it initially impressed me with the dynamics, further listening showed the presence of a coloration that disturbed me. Behind the warm sound was a boxy coloration. Overall it sounded quite unnatural. IMO, choosing between the two is easy, go for the VR-4jr.
you do mean the usher 6381 don't you, as the 6391 is new and not imported yet. it is the bigger grother to the 6381.