Spikes versus wall coupling

I have a Polk SRS-SDA 2.3 speakers. They are 185 lbs each and currently sit on thier furniture glides on a maple floor, over subfloor, over trusses. No carpet. They have a passive radiator for lowest base at the bottom of the cabinet, and I roll to a subwoofer at 60HZ. I like to move them occasionally so have been reluctant to use spikes.

My question is what am I really missing sound wise? And would wall coupling do as well as spikes. I can put them on some marble slabs,as another alternative, or remove the glides and have the bottom fully sit on the floor, o rthe marble. I do not have a turntable. Or should I spike them despite the hassle?
128x128gammajo
Hi Newbee,

I can empathize with people who may feel overwhelmed with the numerous (seemingly) conflicting theories and the multitude of products on the market.

The most important aspect to vibration control is understanding the nature of the problem. Without that, it will not be possible to design the most effective means to deal with contaminating vibration. Most manufacturers only seem to consider floor-borne vibration that is sourced from the loudspeaker and do not address other sources and forms of floor-borne vibration let alone internally generated or air-borne vibration. It is also critical that the designer be very familiar with a wide range of materials and how they interact with each other as well as having the appropriate measurement equipment to assess how well the devices address the problem.

Best,

Barry
Gammajo, Thank you for your recommendations. Since you bring up Volados, I would most highly recommend to you his Schubert solo piano works on Sony. This is not only outstanding playing, an excellent recording, but who would ever have guessed that Volados could play such sensitive Schubert.

On another matter, you teach mediation - I'm on the other end, utilizing mediation extensively to resolve civil litigation cases before trial. Great system and tons of fun for those who are or would become skilled negotiators (you've added another person to the mix who requires more attention than the other side!). Keep up the good work.
Direct coupling if implemented and properly performed increases the likley hood of sucessfull resonance transfer.Ask your loved one for further comment..Tom
Newbee, I teach meditation not mediation. OM! Though through meditation I have absolute respect for the process of mediation. Both increase the peace in the world. Thanks for the Schubert tip - I love much of Schubert. Has Barry convinced you yet:)
Barry you have not provided for an exit stratedgy for vibration to vacate the speaker. In fact you have provided no way out at all.. by adding mass and dampening at the top of the speaker you have 2 totally opposed counter productive non exit paths.Tom