speaker grilles

Here is question I was asked the other day. How much listening improvement is gained from removing the speaker grilles? Do manufactures assume you will listen will the grilles off and supply them only for looks and keeping dust off while not listening?
Thanks
rbtwsp55
I was told by my dealer that JM Lab voices all its speakers for use with the grill on. In practice though, when I took the grills off, the sound opened up, detail improved, and the soundstage widened by about 6 feet! So I don't buy that claim.

I think manufacturers say these things so that people evaluate a product's aesthetics with the grill on rather than with the grill off. Most non-audiophiles prefer looking at grills rather than drivers. The WAF factor, maybe.
My JM Labs also sound better with the grills off...although my soundstage doesn't grow 6 feet! Dag nabbit.
i myself try to avoid pulling the grills off of my speakers as much as possible,from what ive heard in my systems any sonic improvements are so small(if any) that its not worth the risk of damage from constantly handeling them.

mike.
My concern too Bigjoe, I started thinking about this after a friend told me he had just broken the post off a speaker grill, he always listens with grilles off. But I will probably a least give it a listen with my grilles off. I asked my manufacturer Spendor, they said their fabric does not defract high frequency, but said some owners prefer the grilles off and encouraged me to try it both ways. I posted the same question on Audio Assylum and got a good response from 'Bobby'.