Am I crazy????? Try THIS

So my friend needs stands for his book shelf speakers. We can't find any in my little town. I had an idea, HANG THEM!!! They sound so much better. Why? Before you get crazy we didn't have to drill the cabinets or anything we just built a "harness" of sorts. It looks somewhat different, but for about $11.75 we hung both his speakers with braided wire and some eye screws etc. And they sound better to me. Anyone done this?

rf
rfernandez
I remember doing that in the late 70's. My wife would shoot me if I tried it now. I have to get either a divorce or a music room!
The only down side that I can think of is that the movement of the drivers might cause the speakers to move imperceptively and cause some sonic smear which could effect the speakers imaging. Thats one of the principal reasons for putting speakers on spikes on the floor. Eliminate the potential for movement. If imaging isn't a big deal why not.
i had thought to try this a while back. it was explained to me that the drivers are supposed to move air and that this way they are also moving the speaker.was that incorrect?
That assumption has been proven wrong. Not sure where exactly but I remember people doing experiments. They found that, even with large speakers with dual 10" drivers, the amount of air they moved induced minimal movement, not enough at all to cause any type of smearing.
Absolutely the best way to locate speakers (from the acoustic point of view). Not popular with wives. Ignore all the talk about the speakers moving. They don't.