Upgrade Thiel CS3.6 to CS6??

I am thinking about bidding on a pair of Thiel CS6 speakers in bird's-eye maple, and would like some input from those of you familiar with these speakers. I have owned a pair of CS3.6's for seven and a-half years and I've been generally very pleased with their sound. Can anyone out there tell me what I can expect to gain in terms of sound and performance by upgrading? Do the CS6's have bi-amping/wiring capabilities? My current amp is a Mark Levinson No. 23.5 which is what I plan on using should I get the CS6. I'd imagine that should be adequate as it is capable of delivering 400 WPC continuous into a 4 ohm load. I also have a Mark Levinson No. 27.5 that could be used in a bi-amp setup if the speaker is capable. My listening preferences are extremely diverse and include rock, folk, classical, jazz, "adult alternative".

My other concern would be room size and the restriction to a fairly near-field listening position. My room is somewhat odd in its layout. The dimensions are: 13 feet wide and 22 feet long. The caveat is that the room opens into a foyer and is interrupted by a staircase that cuts off about half of the back wall. In other words, half of the back wall is 14 feet from the front wall and ends at the stairs, while the other half of the back wall is 22 feet from the front wall and extends into the foyer. I hope that made sense. Because of the staircase and foyer, I must sit about 8 feet from the front plane of the speakers. I keep the back edge of my CS3.6's about 30 inches away from the front wall and the center axis of each speaker lies 40 inches from each side wall. The speakers are 75 inches apart when measeured from the center axis of each. Is my room too small to accomodate the CS6's? Please keep in mind that I will likely be moving into a different home in the next 1-2 years (with definite plans for a dedicated larger listening room), so I could live with the current suboptimally sized room temporarily.

Thanks to all and happy listening!!

Mark
mstram
I have also had discussions with personnel of a high end audio store in whose opinions I have always found trustworthy. I have also owned the Thiel 3.6 as you do. I was inquiring about an upgrade to the CS6 as well, and was told a similar story as D_edwards portrayed.

I was "steered" to either go with the 2.4 (supposed to be very good) or to wait until after the first of the year in which Jim Thiel is supposed to unveil the 3.7 at CES and it is supposed to *smoke* the CS6 and CS7.2. I have been told rumblings of about $5.5-6K retail estimated for CS3.7
Mark,
I have the CS 2.4 and they out perform most speakers that cost twice as much. I've listened to the CS6 and I will tell you save the money and buy a used pair of CS 2.4 that are going for $2,800.00- $3,100.00 and laugh all the way to the bank. The soundstage is huge and wide. Give it plenty of power and hang on for the ride of your life from a speaker of this size. I use a Bryston 14b-sst and found this to pair well with the CS 2.4. As to the CS 7.2 well that is another thread.
Hello,

I had a pair of 3.6 and 2.3 for front and rear speakers in an HT system. This was quite nice but the pair of Talon Khorus and Peregrine that replaced the Thiels is simply in a completely different league.

There is a very natural tonal balance to the Talons that the Thiels simply don't have. The Talons have a dynamic capability, incredible low-end extension and quite a warm midrange presence that again, the Thiels don't have. And for those of you who claim the incredible Thiel resolution, it's all there in the Talons. Amps used here were ARC Classic 150s and Counterpoint NPS 400 which had no difficulty driving the Thiels.

One advantage of the Talons is that they are more efficient and an easier speaker to drive which opens up the amp options greatly. To pay new prices for Thiels vs the used prices for the Talons makes absolutely no sense.

John
You folks who are touting the superiority of the 3.6 or the 2.4 over the 6 must be smoking some very good stuff. I did extensive comparisons of all three a little over a year ago powered by Levinson, Krell and Musical Fidelity and by far the CS6 was superior in every way. Far better extended with a much larger soundstage and clarity, better midrange and 3 dimensionality. I really have to chuckle sometimes at the blanket statements made here, but each to his or her own I suppose.

I think the problem here is that Thiel CS6 and up are not your average speaker. They require very high output amps to even come close to understanding what performance exists. A quick store demo with these level speakers not paired to the right amp is a waste of time.

The 2.4's are a great speaker, they are slightly better than the 3.6 but neither can manage what the CS6 can do powered correctly. What makes them attractive is the performance using a reasonable powered amplifier.

With that all said the Thiel CS6 is for very large soundstage at high levels and is not suited for small light listening like the lower lines. If you prefer to push the limits the Thiel CS6 comes alive at 500+ watts of quality power and the performance will amaze anyone. The top end blows away B&W in this regime and set up properly has all the bass response one could ask for sans subwoofer.

Mark,

You absolutely need to do an in home demo of the CS6 with proper amplification before crossing it off the list. While Jim Thiel is always improving his product and learning better ways to make a speaker his new products do not make his past lines obsolete by any means. Whether you love or hate Thiel you have to respect a manufacturer who can make their own drivers that can withstand very high input levels sustained.

Thanks,