Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Yeah, you're a legend in your own lunchbox Audiolabyrinth. Real cool.
Want something that will beat any computer, hands down IMO, either the Totaldac or the Antipodes DX.
It's a shame that this thread has degenerated to product touting by a persistent small manufacturer.

I believe that there has been more than one manufacturer "touting" his wares. However, because each has identified themselves, I welcome and encourage their comments!

-must be from a company that will still exist in 5 years (I think this is the biggest challenge right now)
1) Whatever I would buy will be essentially worthless 2 years later since it will be very very quickly woefully outdated.

Matt, with all due respect, these kinda' seem to be mutually exclusive comments; with the exception that with the former, you may still have direct support, which is probably the reason for your "5-year" viability concern.

Speaking of direct support, my best finds/purchases have come from boutique manufacturers. The manufacturer of one such piece has indeed left the scene. But before doing so, he provided schematics, which tended to counter my biggest concern.

At any rate, I'm not really concerned! Perhaps I have had satistically unusually good experiences over the years. With the exception of a 1970's Phase Linear 400 amp, and a nearby lightning strike, I have never had problems with the dozens of components that I have owned. In fact, many are either mothballed or have been handed down to my son with nary a problem.

So, while I understand your "5-year" sentiment, I for one, don't put much emphasis on any one manufacturer's (U.S. U.K., Europe, Asia, or otherwise) stability!

I put more emphasis on a component's design and perceived quality. While researching the pages of forums such as this, there are many well respected components -- electronics, speakers, turntables etc. -- that are being traded repaired, rebuilt, etc. sans their OEM. So, I'm pretty sure that if the worst happens, finding someone to diagnose and repair an item wouldn't be as difficult as imagined. At least for me, taking the off-chance that a component’s OEM leaves the scene, has paid dividends that have surpassed any perceived chance taking.
I am also of the opinion that the few manufacturer posters are welcome. No problem at all. They can share opinions, insights, and comedy if they like. In the end, we all learn more and will still make our own purchasing decisions based on our preferences.
I suppose they can post but they should be civil and professional at all times without resorting to insulting and inflammatory remarks.