Help wanted choosing speakers and subwoofer

I'm starting my first home theatre system. I have $1500-2000 for the main speakers and $1000-1500 for a subwoofer. I have $2000 -3500 for either a receiver or separates. I've read good things about the Vandersteen 2ce and the Magnepan 1.6 for main speakers and the Rel Strata and Vandersteen 2wq subwoofers. I've read good things about NAD, Rotel, and Sunfire for power and processing.

I am open to opinions, suggestions, guidance as to where to start and what to consider.

Your input is appreciated.
coachp
Is this for 2-channel or HT? If it's for 2 channel music...

After having used monitors with a sub for many years, I just switched to floorstanders a month ago. Although my floorstander doesn't reach to the lower bowels the way my sub did, what it did uncover was an incredible amount of music and information in the bass I'd been missing all this time. However, the subs you're considering are very good, and may get you the bass quality I had missed.

If space permits, I'd suggest you consider combining your budget for monitor and sub or using 75% of it towards a really good full range speaker and spending the rest on the preamp/amp or on music/movies.

If your question is based on a home theater configuration, you can ignore my recommendation. I think a sub or subs would be essential for high impact movies.
Check out von schweikert, they have some package deals that are pretty good www.vonschweikert.com. I run a complete package with VR4JRs as mains, and VR1s as rears and the matching center and sub. I am sure that using VR2s would be great. The Sunfire Ultimate receiver is a great choice in your price range for home theater.
Thank you Gunbei and Maineiac for your input. To clarify, this is for a home theater configuration and I do watch a lot of movies on DVD. My current stereo and dvd setup is in a small to medium size room. I am NOT looking for room/wall-shaking bass out of a subwoofer. I want something instead that is fast, accurate, detailed, and musical. I love the music that is intertwined within the movie. I also want to hear the subtle nuances of deep bass music.

Your recommendation about the highly reviewed von schweikerts,Maineiac, is a good one. I'm curious about what you like about your current system and how much you paid for the whole of it? In addition, are you using the Sunfire Ultimate Receiver and, if so, what do you like about it?

Your recommendation, Gunbei, about combining what I would spend on partial range speakers and the subwoofer for a true full range speaker is an interesting one. I'm wondering others think about idea.

Thank you both.
The mags are spooky but lacking extreme volume for mid bass and require serious power (don't try this with a receiver) I had four 1.6's in my home theater before I went in-walls. The Vandy's plus two Vandy subs will suite you nicely. Otherwise pickup a Revel F15 (I think that is the sub number) for about 1000-1500