Can the Totem Hawk Rock?

I was told by a dealer, who distributes both Totem and B&W that the Hawks are superior in every way to the B&W 704 except for volume (Note: the 704 is an excellent speaker). This particular dealer does not stock the Hawk, because he stocks the Staff and claims the two are so close in sound. I already know from second-hand research that I would prefer the Hawk over the Staff. However, I hate to ask the dealer to bring in the Hawk specially for me if there’s a chance I might not like their sound - thus my thread. I appreciate quick detail, image and clarity, a good soundstage, etc., but I do like to crank up the volume when the wife and kids are away. I'm from the old-school and like to "feel" the music right in my chest. When the dealer said the Totem's wouldn’t play as loud as the B&W's I thought I should ask you Agoners before I drive 3 hrs to listen to a pair of speakers that the dealer would have to bring in specially for me to demo. I've demo'd the 704's and was impressed with their ability to play loud, but I was not that happy with their overall sound.
Note: My listening room is small (12 x 15) - due to layout, I'm forced set up and listen between the shorter distance (12 feet). I can bring the speakers out 18 - 20 inches without freaking the wife out too much (that is the max though!)

Thanks in advance to your responses. Keep in mind, my budget is only $2,200.00 max. so no need to remind me of all the really great, but pricey, speaker choices.
2chnlben
Nrchy. VERY nice system!! I would love it. But, I am asking people to comment on "real-world" budget speakers! What I wanted to know, is, FOR THE MONEY (approx. $2,200) what are the best performing speakers. I think Totem, Thiel, Green Mountain, the little Von Schweikerts and even B&W are "good" speakers in that budget range. If I won the lottery, I would opt for your speakers!

Thanks anyway.

2chnlben
i have auditioned many different brands and types of speakers before deciding on the totems. the thiels were too bright for me and did not have any bottom end what so ever. b&w speakers, just so-so, nothing stood out. joseph, from their bookshelf to the pearls, audio physic, all very nice. revel studios and salons, wilson watt puppy 7's, wilson maxx, vandersteen 5a, all very nice and if i had a HUGE room to play them in. with the totem's, they just produce a musical sound that i can listen to for very long periods of time without fatigue and they cost quite a bit less compared to the revels, vandersteens, wilsons, etc. i have had 3 pairs of totems so far and have been very pleased up to this point.
totem also does some amazing things to get a big sound from such a small speaker. read the reviews on the totem arros (i also have a pair of these). reviewers are amazed on the big sound coming from a 4" woofer. (before i get blasted from somebody, i would not recommend this speaker if the listener wants to rattle the windows in a 30' x 15' room).
the only way to audition a pair of speakers is to install them in your home, using your own equipment, in your own room. that is going to be the only way you will know if they will sound the way you want them to. there are many decent deals on audiogon and other places for used totem speakers right now. go to the different audio sights and read the different reviews on the speakers you're interested in. then make a good deal with an audiogon'r on a newer used pair and
listen to them in your environment. if you don't like them, sell them for what you paid for them and do it again until you find what you are looking for. for $2200, there are a lot of choices.
good luck!
If I were buying used speakers in that price range I would get a pair of Sony SS M9's. The only worry I have about them is that they might be too big for your room. They are a great speaker inspite of the name!