Is this rude?

I'm looking to buy the best speakers I can, used, for around $2000. I'm looking at JM Lab Electra 906 or 926, Joseph Audio Rm7si mkII's, and possibly Sonus Faber if I can find a great deal. The only way for me to hear these speakers is to go into high end audio stores and essentially pretend to be interested, already knowing that I won't be buying from them. Is that rude? I just don't see any other way to make an educated decision...

Also, does anyone have any reccomendations as to other brands to check out? I'd prefer floorstanders (the room is about 17 x 13), but I'd be willing to consider large monitors as well.

Thanks!
omains
Bigjoe, Hmm lets see.

#1 No, but I also wouldnt go drive a new car to figure out whether I want to buy someone else's used car.

#2 If he figures out #1 he might as well.

#3 Well, if you have to pen me down, I say, it depends on whether he gets #2 right or wrong.

#4 No, but, you probably wont get much work if you dont give an estimate. So I dont see anyway around it. Although if I were a plumber and some Schmoe asked me to come to his house and solder some pipes and fittings together just so he could see how its done, I just might charge.

I say, time is our most valued commodity. I dont like mine wasted, so its natural to not want to waste other folks time.
BIG JOE, I AGREE 100%

You nailed it dead on the head buddy

They are Salesman, they are not jesus incarnate, they are not the next dali-llamma, they are salesman plain and simple. If they cannot hang with the market they better brush off thier shoulders and find a new career.

Ive seen threads in the past where people state that you have to "EARN" the right to become a customer.

It aint A'gon, Ebay, or other used markets that are killing off the Brick and Mortars, it is the attitude and snobbery.
Ive heared somone on here in the past say unless you are dropping 10k on a system that you shouldnt expect to get good treatment

well, not everyone has 10k to drop, and if a dealer thinks i must spend copious amounts of cash to get treated like a customer or even treated like a human, well, ill be sure to wave at him when i drive by the unemployment office and see him sittin in line.

Bigjoe was dead on with the car salesman comparison.

If a dealer wants to be adealer that is fine. i think it looks like a great job. If he thinks he is too good for potential customers by judging them on age, race, or appearance, he better understand the reason that he is hanging that "OUT OF BUSINESS" sign up is himself.

Gotta earn the right to become a CUSTOMER?

How about this, im the one with the cash. The Dealer has to EARN the right to be MY dealer, there are plenty of dealers out there willing to take a couple thousand dollars out of my wallet and let me walk out with a new set of speakers.

Ive got a few dealers that i go to, because they treated me with first class respect the moment i walked in.

That, my fellow Audiogoners, is CUSTOMER SERVICE, and THAT is what will get me in to buy those speakers. Not some pencil-necked condensending nitwit.
I will happily give my money to a dealer who shakes my hand, invites me in, and gives me attention and takes me seriously.
I would hope the high end audio salesmen are a lot better than car salesmen. I've been to Tweeter and they are car salesmen. Be honest and up front. I good dealer should be more interested in developing a customer than making a quick sale. I cup of coffee and some donuts goes a long way with most dealers (atkins diet - slab of red meat and a hunk of cheese). Most dealers can tell the tire kickers from the serious buyers in about 30 seconds.

Example: I made an appointment with a dealer to audition som soliliquy speakers last week. I told him that I had no intention of buying when I made the appointment and that I was just helping a friend. He told me he didn't mind and he had the entire afternoon available. I walked in and the dealer was polite and answered my questions. We had some lite conversation while I was auditioning. He didn't try to sell me anything. 90 minutes later he was loading the complete Von Schweikert VR4jr theater package in the back of the SUV.
As a former "straight-commissioned" electronics saleman, I remember wasting a lot of time and potential money on people who were just there to waste time. It is very frustrating to work for nothing.