Avalon: are new models quite better than older ?

I'm curious if all Avalon's owners are completely satisfied with the new vented models respect the previous sealed: I know the factory point of view but I wonder if in this particular aspect -bass articulation, impact and speed- the discontinued Ascents or Radians (just to name a few) could be better than the new Eidolons or Opus... Any comment will be appreciated ! Thanks, Luca.
luke72
Thanks Spencer. My feeling is different about the impact of bass in the Radians: I found the woofers really fast, dynamic and capable of move a lot of air (and I have a huge room, 40 x 30 ft)... but no, I haven't heard the Eidolons in my system yet so I can't make a direct comparison.
I don't want to come off as someone that rationalizes his equipment choice as so many of us do,but,the original last version Ascent series#2 was and is one of the finest speaker systems ever designed.I heard the Eidolons in a very fine set up when they were introduced and they just did not have enough to make me want to upgrade from the Ascent.Truthfully upn an a-b comparison the Eidolon may provide a bit more bass,but,they,to me,sounded a bit lean in the upper mid.The Diamond I have not heard,and Avalon does not make it easy for these to be auditioned.I'm not driving for 3 hours to hear them in another state.Avalon does not demo them at any trade show other than Vegas.Obviously intis case 'what happens in Vegas will stay in Vegas'.As for the Ascent you have a sealed enclosure that will definitely produce a more articulate midbass than a ported design.Avalon can stand on it's head,but, they are never going to convince me that a ported design with a similar internal volume will do any better than a properly designed sealed box which the Ascent is.The only thing a ported enclosure of thi type(Eidolon and Diamond)will do differently is produce a louder and abit less defined bass and midbass.Read the comments on midbass made in the absolute sound regarding the performance of the 32000 dollar Diamond.Also,if you have acess to it,read the hard cover book that came with the early Avalons.It is spot on regarding this subject.Common sence tells me that you are going to sell more product by giving the public what it wants.Most people want lots of bass and a room friendly design.The Ascent had 4 boxes.2 175 lb speakers and 2 55 lb crossovers.That's 460 lbs worth of speaker vs. 2 150 lb boxes for the Eidolon and Diamond.Also the Ascent was a very easy 5 ohm min. load to drive.That makes a DIFFERENCE.Lastly what I did to supplement the extreme low frequencies was to ad a REL Stentor Sub.I crossover at 24 hz. This is a killer set up and cost me alot less than selling the already fabulous Ascent's to buy the Eidolons.I'm glad I did.
Sirspeedy, couldn't agree more ! How you can see on my previous posts I have a pair of Radians HC now and I discover day by day how much faster, articulate and, YES, impactful these speakers are compared to a vented system... Surely the Ascents MkII are even better but I'm so glad now with my Radians... Thanks.
Does anyone know the history of Avalon wrt who designed which models? I know that Charles Hansen, now of Ayre, did the Ascent and Eclipse. The next products were the Monitor and the Radian and then the Arcus, I beleve. After that, I think it all went ported (maybe Arcus has a port also), and I know Hansen was long gone. Did Neil Patel (he of rather large ego) come in right away, or was there someone else in there for a while:?
Does anyone know the history of Avalon wrt who designed which models? I know that Charles Hansen, now of Ayre, did the Ascent and Eclipse. That may have been it for Hansen. The next products were the Monitor and the Radian and then the Arcus, I beleve. After that, I think it all went ported (maybe Arcus has a port also). When did Neil Patel (he of rather large ego) come? Did he follow Hansen or was there someone else in there for a while?