Merlin VSM-M or VSM-MX vs. Kharma CRM3.2 series

Has anyone compared the strengths and/or shortcomings of the Merlin VSM-M with B-Bam in a premium finish or the VSM-MX with B-Bam vs either the CRM3.2F w or w/o the Enigma upgrade or the CRM3.2D performing in a relatively small environment? Room size is approx. 12x10. The speakers would be powered with OTL's such as Tenor 75/75Wi's or the Joule VZN-80? Musical preferences in both Redbook and SACD formats are blues influenced jazz trios(Clark, Kelly, Phineas Newborn,Chambers,Burrel,early Davis etc.), acoustic,solo cellists,rock and alt. rock.
kmmorgan
There is an obvious price difference, but the CRM3.2f with enigma is in a different league frankly. I have owned both the latest VSM-M and the 3.2crm with enigma. The Kharma is much more vibrant with very large images, huge soundstage and tonal accuracy in a combination that amazed me and a number of other seasoned audiophiles. One of my friends previously lamented on my selling the CRMs as "the only pair of [my] speakers [he] actually liked" before my new ones arrive...

If they are in your price range, try to audition them, but expect to fall in love - especially with the Tenor. I am sure you will find a lot of comments on these archived.

Don't get me wrong, though. The Merlins are excellent too. I bought a pair so I can enjoy my system while I wait for my replacements to be delivered... and am enjoying them!

Well, I am sure you'll get a lot of comments, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Hope that helps...
Jacob
I certainly can't offer the depth of experience Jacob has since he owned and listened extensively to both the Kharmas and Merlins but I would like to comment. At the home entertainment show in NYC I had the opportunity to hear the 3.2's with Lamm electronics and felt it was easily among the most musically involving systems at the show. Of course there is nothing like hearing a system in your own environment maximally tweeked to your taste. In other words, I'm sure the Kharmas can sound much better than they did.

I've owned the Merlins for almost 4 years and can say there is nothing I've heard in the interim that would make me want to own something else. They are tonally accurate and efficient,like the Kharmas and have electrostatic like speed and clarity. The point is that at this level of performance it may not be as clear cut as it seems on the surface. The Kharmas aesthetically are beautiful speakers and sonically may appeal more but I doubt they are better, just more preferable to some listeners. I'm certain I could live with them but my listening impressions sided with the Merlins because they have a liveness that IS more important to me. The Kharmas seemed a bit darker but none the less very clear and extremely involving, YMMV.

My comments are to offer a perspective that at this level of performance there is no substitute for personal audition, especially considering your room size and musical preferences. Musical involvement being the goal, I would expect each of these designs would offer what you are looking for, only you can decide which one does the better job of it.
I totally agrre with Jwaugh. The Merlins are very nice speakers and very difficult to beat at its price range, but the Kharmas are a very special thing matched with Tenor (I haven't heard them with Joule Electra).
I own a pair of Tenor 75wi that have been working well with the Merlins for more than one year, BUT, when a tried the Kharma CRM 3.2F in my room, I felt in love inmediately and inevitably: bigger and more coherent soundstage, deeper and tighter bass (I owned the Merlins without BAM), and overall the famous and unknown for me until that moment "timbral accuracy". The textures of all the instruments areĀ unbelievable, specially the strings in classical music. Tenor plus Kharma represents the more involving musical experience I have experienced.

Merlins are great, with very good service, but Kharmas are, at least matched with Tenor, in another league IMO.

Good luck