The Klipschorn

Hi, what do you think of the classic Klipschorns? To some these are da best sounding speakers regardless of price. So why spending $10,000 while you can get the most dynamic and lifelike sound for less money? Maybe you think I'm slowly becoming insane, but for the true audiophile technique doesn't matter, right? If only the sound is natural and lifelike.
dazzdax
Ecclectique...and there is nothing like a horn midrange/tweeter to reproduce a trumpet or trombone!
Absolutely love the Klipsch Heritage series, especially the Khorns and LaScala's, the latter of which I've had much more experience with. Have not heard the newer versions of the Heritage speakers, but certainly improved wiring is a plus. I think the AA crossover and metal horns are excellent though and see no reason to change either. They have spoiled me to the sound of diaphragm speakers, which now just sound like amplified music to my ears and in my systems. Klipsch horn speakers, combined well with tube amplification create a sound that is far more lifelike and atmospheric to my ears than any diaphragm speaker I've heard. To almost anyone who comes into my studio the effect is quite striking as it sounds very lifelike and musical. Just don't pair them off with SS amplification (IMO). Some electrostatics have been as engaging in a different way, but no diaphragm speakers have grabbed me that way. That said, I've not listened to many high-end diaphragms costing more than $4000 so keep that in mind when weighing my opinion. It therefore does not really address your question fully and I'd defer to those who've done more direct comparisons of more sophisticated diaphragm speakers (read: more expensive) to give you a more thorough answer there. I do agree with many here that the sound is quite satisfying and Paul Klipsch was most certainly a genius to think that speakers he designed over fifty years ago can still hold up against far more modern designs and are still being produced and sold today.

I just recently made a huge consession to my wife. I moved my SET/LaScala system that is listed as my home system here on A'gon over to my studio (where I actually listen more often, and is a much better listening space than the small room I use at home). I brought my more modest tube system home (Push/Pull KT88 Mini-Mites with Heresy's [same mid and tweet as the Khorn/LaScala]). The sound at home now was immediately compromised by the room, but remained quite engaging in spite of that. The older vintage Klipsch look was part of what my wife objected too, so I happily obliged by taking advantage of a sale that Underwood was having on the well-reviewed Soliloquy 5.3 floor standers. Gorgeous little speakers by the way. Installed them at home and have put around 200 hours on them of break-in time. They say they really need 400-500 to really open up. I can tell you that, after listening to horns and tubes for many years now, these speakers are still leaving me cold and unengaged combined with my system in my small room. Could be the break-in, the synergy, and or the room, but I can tell you they don't even hold a candle to the SET + Scala combination at my work system. They are even bested by the little Heresy's in the same system and room. Any suggestions would be most welcome to improve the sound, but off topic to this thread I guess. Once I really break these in I'll start another thread.

Marco
I've got a pair of Klipsch Chorus and I really love them. They may be a step (or half-step) down from the Klipschorns, but they beat many other speakers I've used (and I've used plenty!) including large, full range electrostatics and Magnepans. My pair image quite well.

Their main shortfalls lie in bass extension, and a slight emphasis somewhere in the lower highs. For the price, I don't think anything else comes close. If I were to list my top 50 favorite speakers, the Klipsch would surely be among the top ten, all parameters considered, and probably in the top 5 for their high fun factor.

My Audio Physics Virgos do some things as well, some not as well, and some things a little better... That's just the way it is with speakers until someone designs a speaker that's "perfect".

I agree with the previous poster who said that some folks don't like Klipsch because they probably heard them set up poorly, or with components that were not a good match.

Party on!
Someday I'd like to put together a tube/Klipschorn system. Setting aside source, what's the minimum investment for tube amp and pre or integrated to drive the K-Horn well? Just curios, not intending to hijack here, but since so many k-horn fans are in the rooom....
They will sound natural and life like....if you feed them well, and give them a good room to work with. Don't do that, and you can have some awful results as others have stated.

At the same time, they aren't something you see in dealer networks everywhere. They are large. They need corners. They need space. These aren't things everyone has, and getting them for the majority of people that have them means that they've had them for years, or that they have bought them used.

I mention this simply because to get a pair new, they still aren't anywhere near budget speakers. The only listed price I occasionally see thrown around for a new pair is somewhere around $6k, and I have seen much higher prices for them mentioned for a new pair, though I don't know if that's for special models and releases.

Add on the fact that they really need a subwoofer, and if you're aiming for the best (for you), that would probably mean a pricey amp/subwoofer/cable combination to supplement.

All of a sudden your total cost isn't exactly a small number.

There is plenty of wonderful stuff out there, whether its Klipsch or not, whether its horn loaded or not, but I will agree that in the right setups, Klipsch and some other horn loaded speakers provide something that I can only describe as engaging -- when you have that, your system and music sort of washes over you. Presentation is different, and there still may be plenty to critique, but the point is you don't care so much about what isn't so exact.