The Klipschorn

Hi, what do you think of the classic Klipschorns? To some these are da best sounding speakers regardless of price. So why spending $10,000 while you can get the most dynamic and lifelike sound for less money? Maybe you think I'm slowly becoming insane, but for the true audiophile technique doesn't matter, right? If only the sound is natural and lifelike.
dazzdax

Showing 1 response by cjr888

They will sound natural and life like....if you feed them well, and give them a good room to work with. Don't do that, and you can have some awful results as others have stated.

At the same time, they aren't something you see in dealer networks everywhere. They are large. They need corners. They need space. These aren't things everyone has, and getting them for the majority of people that have them means that they've had them for years, or that they have bought them used.

I mention this simply because to get a pair new, they still aren't anywhere near budget speakers. The only listed price I occasionally see thrown around for a new pair is somewhere around $6k, and I have seen much higher prices for them mentioned for a new pair, though I don't know if that's for special models and releases.

Add on the fact that they really need a subwoofer, and if you're aiming for the best (for you), that would probably mean a pricey amp/subwoofer/cable combination to supplement.

All of a sudden your total cost isn't exactly a small number.

There is plenty of wonderful stuff out there, whether its Klipsch or not, whether its horn loaded or not, but I will agree that in the right setups, Klipsch and some other horn loaded speakers provide something that I can only describe as engaging -- when you have that, your system and music sort of washes over you. Presentation is different, and there still may be plenty to critique, but the point is you don't care so much about what isn't so exact.