Vandersteen-like "In-between" speakers

I have a pair of Vandersteen 3A signature speakers that came on loan from my brother and I have to give them up in about a month. I am using them with a McCormack DNA-225 and they sound great. I have heard from others that Vandersteen works well with McCormack.

I don't want to spend more money than I have to, but I have about $6K set aside to buy my own speakers. This amount is much more than the 3A signatures. There is no way that I can stretch to buy the Vandersteen 5 or 5A's. A friend of mine has them and they are fantastic.

Can anyone suggest a speaker in my price range, which falls between 3A and 5A, that will give me the same "flavor" as the Vandersteens and will mate well with McCormack? I listen to all kinds of music except very little classical - mostly rock, jazz, bluegrass, vocals.
motdathird
One more thought: check out the Aerial 7b. Voiced not dissimilarly from the Vandersteens, but more detailed and stronger bass response (if arguably a tad less smooth and coherent). A fine speaker, although you do pay for the woordworking...
I recently heard the 3As at a dealer along with the Quads mentioned above and would have picked the Quads over the 3As but not the 5As. BUT the Quads seem to need a bit more room that I can use in my room. That said, I was waiting for Vandy to do a 5A without the self power sub. Also to note are the VS VR-4SEs adn the new 4 Juniors which I am told may better the VR-4SEs. Green Mountain Audio is also coming out with their C-3 which seems to be built using the same type of design.

Happy Listening.
You could try www.tyleracoustics.home.mindspring.com

You will find a model or two in the $4-$6k range. And I would venture to say they do a better/musical sound than the 'steens. I've owned the 3's and sold them 'cause after I got them home and settled in they didn't sound as pleasing as the 2's.

That isn't to say your experience will be the same as mine, but just because many, many other people like them, doesn't mean you will, on a permanent basis.
New Vandersteen Quatro. Worth waiting for to atleast audition before making a move. I think Stereophile mentioned a spring release.

http://www.shows.soundstagelive.com/shows/ces2004/standout_vandersteen.shtml
Simple, you have three choices...
1. Brand new 3A Sigs. This allows you to spend the rest on the front end where it's better spent.
2. 3A Sigs with Subs. A significant improvement, but maybe not to your taste.
3. Vandersteen Quatros for $6500. They're essentially 3A Sigs with the 2WQ subs integrated into the speakers. It's as close to a 5A as you can get without spending the $10K extra to get the actual 5As. You should see them in the stores this year.

Good Luck!