Vandersteen-like "In-between" speakers

I have a pair of Vandersteen 3A signature speakers that came on loan from my brother and I have to give them up in about a month. I am using them with a McCormack DNA-225 and they sound great. I have heard from others that Vandersteen works well with McCormack.

I don't want to spend more money than I have to, but I have about $6K set aside to buy my own speakers. This amount is much more than the 3A signatures. There is no way that I can stretch to buy the Vandersteen 5 or 5A's. A friend of mine has them and they are fantastic.

Can anyone suggest a speaker in my price range, which falls between 3A and 5A, that will give me the same "flavor" as the Vandersteens and will mate well with McCormack? I listen to all kinds of music except very little classical - mostly rock, jazz, bluegrass, vocals.
motdathird
Motdathird, While there are many speakers that can improve over the 3A's - I think it would be helpful if you could specify exactly what about their performance you would like to improve and what you are happy with. You might get much more meaningful responses.
I've just heard that Vandersteen is showing a new speaker model called the Quatro at CES, price point to be around $6500 (between the 3a Sigs and the 5s). There was a small discussion on them on Audio Asylum the other day, and a picture has been posted (you could do a search. They're smaller than 3as, and less boxy: tapered and angular, more like the 5s. Sounds intruiging, but I don't now when they'll become generally available.
In response to Newbee, these are a few things I like about the 3A'a.

They seem to get the soundstage and imaging right like the level of voices and positioning of instruments. But, this might be due more to positioning and placement.(?)

They have very tight but not "bloaty" bass, at least in my room.

The highs are detailed without being hard. This is something that might be a plus when using with any SS amp.

I find they are very detailed and musical at low volume levels. Many times I listen in mid-evening when my kids are doing homework and cannot turn the crank up too much. Some speakers I have heard are weak at low volume.
I have to say that Sdcampbell makes a very attractive statement when it is said that less emphasis on cabinets equals more sound for the money.

No speakers better for another $3K seems that there must be a big void in this price range. Do others agree?

I have not even considered electrostatic speakers.
The new Vandy speaker mentioned in Swklein's post above is the Vandersteen Reference Monitor that Richard V. has been working on for several years. It has been shown before at several audio shows. The speaker is essentially the top half of the Model 5/5A, without the subwoofer. Last fall, I had a chance to talk with Richard V. when he was doing a presentation at my local Vandy dealer, and he said that he was not ready to start manufacturing the "Reference" because he wasn't totally satisfied with some aspects of its performance. The prototype that I saw of this speaker certainly looked promising, but because it will lack the low-frequency response of the larger floor-standers, it may not appeal to everyone.